This was a busy month on the Frontier (and beyond). The HSS History’s Hope finally overcomes their misjump issues only to be ambushed by an unknown assailant. A strange computer virus nearly destroys the Moneyspider, and the ships of the Discovery Squadron, on their way home, engage and destroy a sathar raid in the Zebulon system.
As always, you can follow along daily on the Star Frontiers Twitter feed if you don’t want to wait for the monthly summary.
|Castuss Wallorr (yazirian), the sape handler on the Moneyspider, is launched out of the ship on a lifeboat. His distress call causes the ship’s roboticist, Daqor Klarr (vrusk) to snap and have to be restrained. (SFAD5)
|– Baralou Ap-Reaverchan (yazirian), Moneyspider’s astrogator, is killed in a sudden explosion in the life support system on Snobol, the asteroid the ship is tethered to. (SFAD5)
– On their return to the Moneyspider from Snobol, the elevator fails and the crew that responded to Baralou’s distress call are severely injured. (SFAD5)
– In the confusion of the elevator crash, Daqor, sedated in the Moneyspider’s medical bay, is killed by an overdose of anesthesia. (SFAD5)
|Calculations mostly done, the HSS History’s Hope begins accelerating for its jump back to the YS01 system.
|– The Moneyspider’s security robot malfunctions and starts shooting holes in the gas tanks holding the filtered toxins from the planet’s atmosphere. The life support system is also malfunctioning and not filtering the air. Fiator Geauis (dralasite), ship technician is killed due to a sabotaged gas mask. (SFAD5)
– Ellen Coopermann, as the only survivor of the original crew is the prime suspect, but she convinces the rescue party she is innocent. She begins to believe the rescue teams account of the Matrix and works to help them eradicate it. (SFAD5)
|After many weeks of behind the scenes deals and increasing discontent over the practices of the Groth Energy Corporation, the creation of a new entity is announced, the Consolidated Nebula Energy Group (CNE) (ZG), formed by the merger of the three largest independent energy producers on Groth. All smaller energy producers are invited to join.
|– Despite their best efforts, the techniques that worked on Jetsom aren’t working to destroy the Matrix on Moneyspider. (SFAD5)
– Looking through the Captain’s Computer/Robot System’s Manual Ellen learns that Baralou, the astrogator is listed as one of the ship’s robots, which means it was not her body recovered in the explosion on Snobol. Baralou becomes the prime suspect of all the deaths. (SFAD5)
|– The Sathar starship construction center in OFS111 completes a light cruiser.
– Her secret discovered, Baralou attempts to eliminate Ellen and the rescue team. After a running fight through the ship between the surviving crew members and Baralou, who is aided by the ship’s robots and automated defense systems, Baralou is neutralized. (SFAD5)
|– The Discovery Squadron arrives at Faire in the Capella system. They spend three days on the planet before heading on to Zebulon.
– The HSS History’s Hope successfully jumps into the YS01 and begins decelerating. Jump calculations are begun anew for another attempt at the jump to the YS02 system.
– With Baralou gone, the remaining crew on the Moneyspider slowly begin to make progress on destroying the Matrix from the Moneyspider’s systems. (SFAD5)
|An attempt is made to sabotage the Minotaur (Theseus) shipyards. It is foiled due to increased security after PGC shipyard attack a few months ago.
|– Deceleration nearly complete, the HSS History’s Hope is set upon by an unidentified, armed vessel that does not respond to any attempts to communicate. While obviously of Frontier origin, the vessel is not one that the crew has seen before. An SOS is broadcast via subspace radio to the Frontier.
– In the ensuing fight, the HSS History’s Hope’s engines are severely damaged but a lucky shot by their gunner sends the assailant spinning out of control, ending the fight. The crew rushes to fix the engines and get underway before the assaulting ship can repair itself and return.
|– Having remained undetected as they drifted through the outer system, the sathar ships in the outer Kazak system begin slowly changing their vector for a jump to Zebulon.
– Just hours before the relief ship arrives at the Moneyspider, the crew eradicates the last vestiges of the Matrix from the ship. The remaining crew board the relief ship to head back to the Prenglar system. (SFAD5)
|With the “fall” season approaching CDC decides that winters are too harsh to keep the crew on Alcazzar (Rhianna) and stop operations for the year after mining over 6.3 million credits of resources, mostly gold. (SF4)
|Repairs of the HSS History Hope’s engines take much longer than expected. Luckily, their assailant failed to return. The crew debates whether they should return to the Frontier for complete repairs or push onward.
|After much deliberation, it is decided that the HSS History’s Hope will push on but not transmit their completed routes back to the UPF for registration, but only to Histran to track their progress. Calculations are begun again for a jump to YS02.
|Repairs at the PGC shipyard (Gran Quivera, Prenglar) restore capacity to 80%.
|– Repair work on the Triad SSC continues. The construction center is now at 85% of its original capacity.
– The Discovery Squadron makes the jump to the Zebulon system and starts decelerating toward Volturnus.
|– The sathar ships from OSF019 make the jump and arrive in the Zebulon system. They start decelerating toward Volturnus.
– Initial calculations complete, the HSS History’s Hope begins accelerating once again for a jump to the YS02 system.
|– Sathar ships are detected by Discovery Squadron and messages are sent to Spacefleet, Pale (Truane’s Star), and Strike Force Nova announcing the sathar presence in the system.
– As the only armed vessels in the system, Discovery Squadron is ordered to intercept the sathar vessels despite being severely out classed.
|The decision by Obar Enterprises to not report the Truane’s Star-Cassidine jump route has paid off nicely. In just 100 days, they have made over 1.6 million credits in gross profits, more than double what would have been possible before the jump route was plotted.
|– Discovery Squadron intercepts the sathar ships. Whether due to a sizable skill differential or simply good luck, the smaller UPF ships manage to destroy all 4 sathar vessels. Unfortunately, the militia frigate and one of the Streel corvettes are lost while the other 2 corvettes are severely damaged.
– Realizing that they have too much force projected into the Rim, and that the sathar seem to have a way into the Frontier around the ships station in Kazak, Strike Force Nova begins a high-speed transit back to Frontier Space. Patrol Group Virgo is split off again and remains in Kazak to bolster the Rim defenses in that system.
|– After making critical repairs, the remains of the Discovery Squadron begin making their way to Volturnus.
– The HSS History’s Hope successfully arrives in YS02, much to the relief of her crew. They begin decelerating and plotting the return jump to YS01.
|The sixth saurian Ark Ship is completed and begins its shakedown cruise.
|Information is uncovered that the buyout of Groth Energy may have been orchestrated by the group known as the Investors. The reporter that uncovered the leak is found dead after falling off of his 16th story balcony in downtown Port Loren (Gran Quivera, Prenglar).
|The Discovery Squadron pulls into orbit around Volturnus where they start working on more repairs and resupplying the assault scouts which had depleted all their assault rockets in the fight with the sathar.
|Strike Force Nova jumps into the Osak system but remains near jump speed as they compute the next leg of their jump to Capella
|Deceleration complete, the HSS History’s Hope begin accelerating for the jump back to YS01. They are aiming to arrive high in the system to attempt to avoid the assailant that was there last time if that ship is still in the system.
|– Repairs complete, the Streel corvettes begin accelerating for a jump home to Truane’s Star. The assault scouts are ordered to stay in the Volturnus system for the time being to provide early warning and defense of that system as Spacefleet finalizes it’s plans. Discovery Squadron is officially dissolved.
– Strike Force Nova jump into the Capella system, again remaining near jump speed as they compute a jump to the Zebulon system.
|Fortress Kdikit (Madderly’s Star) completed.
|After much debate, and heavily swayed by discovery of the sathar presence in OFS019 and the recent events in the Zebulon system, the Council of Worlds authorizes additional spending by Spacefleet to commission several new vessels.
|With the go-ahead and funding from the Council of Worlds, Spacefleet decides to exercise their development plan Sierra Foxtrot Meteor, which builds out another Strike Force similar to SF Nova. Orders are placed for vessels from various shipyards around the Frontier.
|The HSS History’s Hope successfully makes the jump back to YS01 arriving high in the system as desired. They immediately begin decelerating and scanning the system for any other ships as they start in on engine overhauls and plotting the jump back to YS02.
Full timeline file: