This month see a new year in the Frontier, an escalation of the tension with a small battle between UPF and sathar forces, and the start of construction on a new UPF exploration ship. The HSS History’s Hope also runs in to some trouble with a few bad misjumps, ending up in systems they never intended.
|Construction of the CMS Swallow begins
|The CRL-E1 maintenance robot on Jetsom stops functioning and refuse to move or obey any commands. Resetting its mission and functions restores functionality but only for a few hours. The rescue team realize that it has become infected by the Matrix. (SFAD5)
|– After reviewing the data from Patrol Group Flint, and in light of the information returned by the Discovery Squadron, the commander of Strike Force Nova decides to send another scouting mission to OFS019 before making more definite plans.
– Patrol Group Flint is again detached from the Strike Force and begins accelerating for a jump back to the OFS019 system. If possible, they are to remain undetected in the system and transmit data back via subspace radio.
|Second K’aken-Kar militia assault scout arrives in its home system.
|Repair work and astrogation calculations complete, the HSS History’s Hope begins accelerating toward their next system, designated YS002.
|Shakedown cruise complete, the fifth Saurian Ark Ship begins loading of cargo and passengers.
|After over two weeks of dealing with issues caused by the Matrix, the rescue team finally discover its fatal weakness and start taking measures to destroy the virus and eradicate it from the Jetsom platform. (SFAD5)
|Patrol Group Flint arrives in OFS019 once again. They stay near jump speed with engines off to reduce the chance of detection and coast across the system at high velocity. They begin cataloging signals from ships in the system.
|The HSS History’s Hope initiates the Void Jump to YS02. Unfortunately, due to an error in their calculations, they end up in an unknown binary star system. Designating this as YS03, they start deceleration and trying to figure out where they ended up.
|– Preparations, which have been going on for weeks, are finalized on worlds around the Frontier for a major Founding Day celebration celebrating six full decades of the United Planetary Federation. While some events over the past year have been troubling, everyone is determined to make this a celebration to be long remembered.
– After two days of data collection, Patrol Group Flint catalogs an ever growing sathar presence in the system. They have identified over 25 military vessels including four of the new, unknown ship type, as well as a station and various ancillary ships. The data is relayed back to Strike Force Nova.
|– Major Founding Day celebrations held throughout the Frontier. Although there were some small incidents, the general mood on every world was very upbeat.
– Having crossed the system so that their engine emissions should be less noticeable, Patrol Group Flint begins decelerating. They have solidified the ship count to 8 fighters, 4 of the unknown ships, and 15 capital ships, plus a single space station.
|WarTech factories on Hargut (Gruna Garu) attacked by unknown forces. Expecting a lower alert level due to the Founding Day celebrations, the attackers underestimate the automated defenses and alertness of the security staff and are repulsed with heavy losses.
|Sathar forces in OFS019 detect the decelerating ships of PG Flint. A light cruiser, two destroyers and a frigate are dispatched under radio blackout to intercept. They boost hard for several hours and then kill their engines, minimizing emissions as they approach.
|Streel files a protest with the Council of Worlds requesting that its ships that were part of Discovery Squadron be released by Strike Force Nova to return to the Frontier as they are private vessels and not part of Spacefleet or a planetary militia.
|After six days of work, the History’s Hope astrogation team finally determines their location. They shot way beyond their mark arriving in a system that is 6 light years beyond YS02. The good news is that they know where they were, the bad news is that it is well off the path they had planned to take, and they now have two uncharted jumps back to YS01.
|– Deceleration complete, Patrol Group Flint continue to monitor the OFS019 system and begins plotting a return jump to Kazak from their current location.
– The Sathar starship construction center in the Liberty system completes a destroyer.
– With only eight days until the orbital window opens for them to return to the Moneyspider, the recovery team on Jetsom has nearly eradicated the Matrix from the mining platform. The only holdouts are areas where damage prevents them from pressurizing the area and increasing the temperature.
|After three days of deliberations within Spacefleet, the Council of Worlds, and slow communication with Strike Force Nova’s commander, all of the ships of Discovery Squadron are dedeputized and allowed to depart Kazak and return home.The six ships of Discovery Squadron from Truane’s Star depart immediately upon their release. The two Humma ships stay with the Flight forces in the system.
|Patrol Group Flint detect the approaching sathar ships as they begin decelerating and angling for intercept. With evasion unlikely, the UPF ships send off a subspace radio and begin a hard acceleration to try to escape, while expecting to fight a very uneven battle.
|The sathar ships catch Patrol Group Flint. After a short running battle, the two UPF destroyers are destroyed by the sathar forces which suffer severe damage to the frigate and one destroyer, but all ships survive the battle.
|– Loading complete, the fifth saurian Ark ships departs the Sauria system for destinations unknown.
– With the destruction of PG Flint, the sathar launch a raid into the Frontier sector to try to draw off the Frontier forces from wherever they are basing from. Two light cruisers, three destroyers, and a frigate leave for Zebulon via a high-speed transit of the Kazak system.
|The HSS History’s Hope’s attempt to jump to the YS02 system from YS03 fails and they land once again in an unknown binary system of two M dwarf stars. As they decelerate, they begin trying to work out their position. It seems travel here in the Vast Expanse is more difficult than expected.
|Construction is completed on the CDCSS Mystic at the Triad (Cassidine) shipyards. While it has the same profile as the CDCSS Nightwind, this ship is focused on passenger transport rather than cargo. It begins a shakedown cruise carrying CDC personnel from Triad to Rupert’s Hole and back.
|The Council of Worlds convenes for the FY61 session.
|– The CMS Osprey docks with a strange looking freighter for what its commanding officer, Lt. Tabbe, says is a “high security” mission. When the airlock opens sathar swarm into the assault scout. After an intense battle, the Osprey’s boarding party neutralize the sathar and their agent Lt. Tabbe. The freighter gets away, but the Osprey is saved.
– The sathar ships from OFS019 arrive in Kazak well outside the inner system. They remain near jump speed search the system for signals of Flight or Spacefleet presence in the system.
|Detecting Strike Force Nova and the Flight forces in the system, the sathar ships begin cataloging the ships detected. They remain near jump speed and coast through the outer system.
|After five days of around-the-clock work, the astrogators on the HSS History’s Hope have determined their location and also uncovered an error in their astrographic catalog that may have been the source of their error. The system is designated YS04.
|– After a day of rest, the HSS History’s Hope’s astrogators begin charting a route to YS01, the closest system with known jump routes. It is a 10 light year jump, the farthest new jump they have charted. OFS219 is closer, at 8 ly, but would require several new jumps to get back to charted space lanes.
– Discovery Squadron arrives in the Osak system where they spend a day resting before heading on to Capella
|The rescue crew from Jetsom returns to the Moneyspider to the relief of Captain Akizk. As the rescue crew is en route to the Captain’s office, the Captain dies, seemingly by suicide. The second in command (Ellen Coopermann, human) doesn’t believe their report about the Matrix. (SFAD5)
|The Frontier Expeditionary Force begins organizing a project to explore beyond the Theseus system. A new ship, the UPFS Elanor Moraes is commissioned for construction at the Minotaur (Theseus) shipyards.
Here’s the full file: