This was a busy month in the Frontier. The sathar probe into the Theseus system is intercepted and destroyed by the militia. The lost K’aken-Kar assault scout finally finds its way home and Spacefleet starts to get serious about locating the sathar routes into the Frontier and their starship construction centers. The UPF suffers a major blow to its production capabilities as saboteurs nearly completely destroy the Hentz (Araks) starship construction center. Finally, the HSS History’s Hope misjumps into an unplanned system and makes what might be a major yazirian cultural discovery.
Five fighters are completed at the CDC shipyards (Triad, Cassidine) and work begins on five more. Three of the fighters are immediately assigned to fill out FFC Squadron Eta while the other two are placed in storage.
The Second Battle of Theseus. The Theseus militia intercepts SFB-J2 and destroys, only suffering minimal damage.
– Jump calculations complete, the HSS History’s Hope begins the final accelerations and alignment for their next jump.
– Deceleration complete, SBF-A2 begins accelerating for the return jump to OFS203.
– Deceleration complete and with still no sign of sathar presence in the OFS020 system, PG Probe Alpha begins acceleration for a return jump to the Fromeltar system.
– The militia ships arrive back at Minotaur (Theseus) after the battle with the sathar and the damaged assault scout is immediately moved into the shipyard for repairs, bumping out a HS 5 ship undergoing maintenance.
– SG Alpha jumps into the Prenglar system. A ship carrying the new fighter pilot graduates boosts to meet up with carrier as work begins on calculations for the jump to Athor.
– A heavy cruiser is completed at SCC#5 (OFS19) and joins SBF-E2. The battle group, consisting of 2 C, 1 FF, 1 DD, 1 LC, & 2 HC depart for SCC#4 (OFS111).
– Three assault scouts are completed at the PGC shipyards (Gran Quivera, Prenglar) and join TF Prenglar. The shipyard space is released by Spacefleet back for pubic ship maintenance work.
The HSS History’s Hope successfully jumps into the new system which they are designation YS13. They begin deceleration an jump calculations for the return trip to YS12.
SBF-A2 is detected in the outer reaches of the Gruna Garu system but is too far away to be identified and just recorded as an unidentified vessel. Due to the on-going conflict, it is reported immediately to Spacefleet.
Two fighters completed at the Minotaur (Theseus) shipyards and join those manned by the militia under the direction of FFC Squadron Epsilon.
– After 13 days, the astrogator on the K’aken-Kar assault scout establishes that they are in FS33, the original destination for their first misjump. They begin work on calculations to jump back to their home system.
– SBF-A2 slips into the void but misjumps, overshooting its target and ending up in OFS198.
– Given the reports from the Gruna Garu system of unidentified vessels in the outer system, Spacefleet orders SG Alpha to deliver the fighters waiting at Hentz (Araks) to the Gruna Garu system.
– PG Probe Alpha slips into the Void but misjumps and doesn’t end up in the Fromeltar system. However, their comm systems light up almost immediately and they realize they have overshot their target and ended up in the Dramune system. They immediately begin decelerating and plotting a return jump to Fromeltar.
– SBF-A2 determines its location and begins plotting a jump back to OFS203.A light cruiser is completed at sathar SCC#4 (OFS111)
Starfleet puts out a Frontier-wide announcement looking for high level astrogators to participate in a high-paying, adventurous, but possibly dangerous classified project.
With CNE Group’s infrastructure rollout on Groth (Fromeltar) plagued by constant sabotage, the consortium brings in a large MercCo contingent as additional security and several investigative teams.
Despite the vagueness of the advertisement, Starfleet’s call for high level astrogators garners dozens of applicants in just two days. Screening of applicants begins immediately.
Three more pilots complete the accelerated training at Gollwin Academy. They are temporarily assigned to fighters at the Academy and start training with TF Prenglar while awaiting permanent assignment.
– The HSS History’s Hope misjumps and instead of ending up in YS12 are in an unknown system which they designate YS14. They begin immediately working on finding their position.
– The K’aken-Kar militia assault scout begins accelerating for the jump back to its home system.
– Four fighters are completed at the Hentz (Araks) shipyard and FFC Squadron Beta takes control of them and the other four fighters currently manned by the militia in preparation for the arrive of SG Alpha in a few days.
– Two fighters are completed at the Minotaur (Theseus) shipyards and join the partial squadron manned by the militia under the command of FFC Squadron Epsilon.
– SG Alpha jumps into the Araks system and begins deceleration towards Hentz to pick up the fighter stored there.
Sathar agents succeed in sabotaging the Hentz (Araks) starship construction center almost completely destroying it. Pieces of the SCC rain down on the planet. All ships in the center, including 4 civilian vessels, 2 assault scouts, & 4 fighters are destroyed. It will be years before the facility is back to full capacity.
In wake of the near total loss of the Hentz (Araks) SCC, Star Law launches an investigation into the Family of One’s management of the facility and their security measures. Security is tightened at all other SCCs.
– Sathar fleet TG1 jumps into the OFS138 system containing sathar SCC#3. It is joined by the frigate and heavy cruiser there and continues on toward OFS020.
– A destroyer is completed at sathar SCC#10 (OFS174).
– A HS:5 ship completes maintenance at the Minotaur (Theseus) SCC and the militia uses the space to begin construction of another frigate.
– After a full assessment of the damage to the Hentz (Araks) SCC, it is determined that existing center is effectively a total loss (98% damaged) and the decision is made to build a completely new structure. The limited capacity of the surviving center is dedicated to that work.
– SG Alpha arrives at the Hentz station and the eight pilots take control of their fighters and begin loading them onto the assault carrier for transport to Gruna Garu.
– The K’aken-Kar militia assault scout successfully jumps back into the K’aken-Kar system and begins decelerating toward home. All data from its travel are immediately transmitted to Spacefleet.
– With the fighters loaded, SG Alpha departs for Gruna Garu.
– The crew of the HSS History’s Hope detects a faint, intermittent radio signal emanating from somewhere in the YS14 system. While the astrogators continue to work on locating their position, other crew work on finding the source of the signal and understanding it.
– SBF-E2 arrives at SCC#4 (OFS111). The AC, LC, and 8 fighters are attached to the battle fleet and preparations are made for them to join TG1 in OFS020.
– An assault scout is completed at the PGC shipyards (Gran Quivera, Prenglar) and joins TF Prenglar.
– A heavy cruiser is completed at sathar SCC#10 (OFS174). Together with the destroyer completed four days earlier, they are designated TG2, and immediately departs for SCC#1 (OFS203).
– Three assault scouts are completed at the CDC shipyards (Triad, Cassidine). Designated Shuttle Group Beta, they depart immediately for Prenglar.
– Five fighters are completed at the PGC shipyards (Gran Quivera, Prenglar) and are transferred to Gollwin Academy.
PG Probe Alpha arrives back at Terledrom (Fromeltar). Two high level astrogators from TF Cassidine are transferred to the ships of PG Probe Alpha and it sets out once again to OFS020 to try to chart the jump back.
– SBF-A2 successfully arrives back at sathar SCC#1 (OFS203).
– The astrogators on the HSS History’s Hope identify their location as a system 9 light years from YS12 and begin plotting a jump back to the YS12 system.
– A Spacefleet destroyer is completed at the Minotaur (Theseus) shipyards. It departs to joint PG Vigilant in the K’sta-Kar system.
– With the screening of the initial astrogator candidates complete, Spacefleet organizes three new patrol groups, Probe Beta, Gamma, & Delta, each consisting of two assault scouts (drawn from TF Prenglar) with a level six astrogator on board.
– After a final briefing, the newly formed patrol groups are dispatched to try to discover the jump routes the sathar are using to enter the Frontier.
With more resources available now that their position has been determined, the crew of the HSS History’s Hope localizes the source of the mysterious signal to a planet in the inter system. It appears to be a FM radio signal and work begins on decoding it.
Security for CNE Group on Groth capture saboteurs attempting to disrupt their infrastructure rollout. As suspected the saboteurs were hired by the Groth Energy Corporation.
PG Probe Alpha jumps into the OFS020 system and immediately begins deceleration and jump calculations for the return to Fromeltar.
– Jump calculations complete, the HSS History’s Hope begins acceleration for the jump back to YS12.
– SBF-E2 departs sathar SCC#4 (OFS111) for a jump into the OFS020 system to join up with TG1.
– SG Alpha arrives at Hargut (Gruna Garu) delivering the fighters from Hentz which are formed into FFC Squadron Theta. The assault carrier departs to return to Prenglar.
– The crew of the HSS History’s Hope finally have a breakthrough on the signals from the inner system of YS14. To their surprise, it is a garbled mayday message in a very old Yazirian dialect.
– The old yazirian mayday identifies the ship as the Yazirian Ark Ship (YAS) Royal Cloud. The HSS History’s Hope immediately aborts the jump back to YS12 and starts heading to the inner system.
– Now 500 days since hatching, the Eorna young are still growing and thriving. The problems seem to have been all with the rogue Eorna and a new batch of eggs are prepared for hatching and plans begin to accelerate the population growth program.
– An assault scout is complete at the Outer Reach (Dramune) shipyard and departs for Morgaine’s World (Prenglar) to join TF Prenglar.
– All attempts at communication with the YAS Royal Cloud by the crew of the HSS History’s Hope receive no response.
– SG Beta arrives at Gollwin Academy and joins up with TF Prenglar, replacing several of the assault scouts that departed as part of the new patrol groups.
– The replacement destroyer for the Inner Reach (Dramune) militia is completed at the Outer Reach shipyards and departs across the system to Inner Reach. Outer Reach begins construction of a destroyer for themselves.
– Five more fighters and an assault scout are completed at the CDC (Cassidine, Triad) shipyards. The fighters are temporarily attached to FCC Squadron Eta while the assault scouts depart to join PG Vigilant.
This month both sides of the conflict are probing for new routes into enemy space with the Sathar looking for routes to Theseus and Gruna Garu and the UPF probing outward from Fromeltar. The lost militia scout begins to find its way home and the HSS History’s Hope continues its journey.
Both sides continue to build up their forces and the Sathar start a major reshuffling of their ships in preparation for a major change in tactics. The sathar continue with sabotage efforts around the Frontier. This month also sees the events of SF4: Mission to Alcazzar play out.
– The militia assault scout coming from Theseus arrives back at Pale station. The crew is debriefed, and the ship immediately begins duties.
– SG Alpha arrives at Gollwin Academy to pick up a shipment of fighters to be delivered to K’sta-Kar.
– Five fighters are completed at the Triad (Cassidine) SCC and work begins on five more.
After loading 8 fighters at Gollwin Academy, SG Alpha departs for K’sta-Kar.
– PG Liberty does not detect the return of SBF-J2 until they are nearly back to Snowball being tipped off my some of their Mhemne contacts. They radio the news of the fleet’s return back to Spacefleet.
– Construction is competed at the Minotaur (Theseus) shipyard of a HS: 7 civilian freighter. This is the first civilian ship competed since the beginning of the conflict. It was started before the conflict began.
– Arriving back at Snowball (Liberty) SBF-J2 spends a day replenishing supplies before heading back out of the system to complete charting the route to Theseus.
– Eight Academy pilots arrive at Theseus and take control of the waiting fighters. They form FFC Squadron Epsilon.
Jump calculations for the next leg complete, the HSS History’s Hope begins accelerating toward Void speed.
An assault scout is completed in the PGC (Gran Quivera, Prenglar) shipyards and joins TF Prenglar. Work begins on another assault scout.
– Two UPF assault scouts are completed at the CDC (Triad, Cassidine) shipyards. They are designated Patrol Group Probe Alpha and depart for the Fromeltar system to explore outward an attempt to find the sathar route into that system. Work begins on two more assault scouts.
– Two fighters are completed at the Minotaur (Theseus) station. One rounds out FFC Squadron Epsilon bringing it up to full strength and the other is manned by the militia supporting the FFC. Work begins on two more fighters.
– The CDC team arrives on Alcazzar. Within minutes of their landing, their transport, the Nightrunner, is attacked and forced to flee the system, stranding them on the planet. (SF4)
– After securing the CDC compound on Alcazzar, the strike team realizes that their only option for off-world communication will be at the Streel compound about 120 km away. As they prepare to depart, they are attacked by an aircar with Streel markings. (SF4)
– A UPF light cruiser, part of Task Force Meteor, is completed at the CDC shipyards (Triad, Cassidine). It departs immediately to join up with TF Cassidine in the Fromeltar system. Work is started on another light cruiser.
– After a day of travel over rugged terrain, and several encounters with the mega-fauna of Alcazzar, the CDC set up camp for the night. (SF4)
– As the CDC team sets out to continue its journey to the Streel compound, they are attacked by a large armed force of Streel vehicles. After an intense battle, the Streel forces are destroyed but the CDC team is down to a single vehicle. (SF4)
– The HSS History’s Hope successfully make the jump into the system they are now designating YS12. They begin deceleration and start calculations for the return jump to YS11.
– Entering the forest east of the Streel compound, the CDC explorer is bombarded by fruit pits from unseen assailants for a few seconds before the bombardment ends with chittering echoing through the forest. (SF4)
– A few hours after the fruit pit bombardment, the CDC team’s path is blocked by six individuals that they recognize as members of the planet’s sentient species. Recognizing the opportunity for allies against Streel, the team attempts to communicated with the natives. (SF4)
– Having established friendly relations with the natives of Alcazzar, the CDC team works with the natives to plan an attack on the Streel compound where over a hundred of the natives are being held and used as slave labor. (SF4)
– After nearly 70 days, the astrogator on the K’aken-Kar militia assault scout finally determines the ship’s location and discovers that they are well outside the Frontier. They begin plotting a jump to OFS167 to start the trek home.
An unauthorized aircar attempts to approach Spacefleet headquarters on Morgaine’s World. Refusing to divert, it is engaged and shot down but detonates upon impact causing considerable damage and several civilian casualties. The driver is incinerated in the blast.
With jump calculations about halfway done, the crew of the K’aken-Kar militia assault scout begin accelerating toward jump speed for the jump to OFS167, 5 light years away.
– After 3 days of planning and resting, the CDC team, together with the Alcazzar natives, launch an attack on the Streel mining compound. (SF4)
– The attacking CDC team manages to fuse the reactor of the Streel compound and get a message to the Nightrunner to pick them up back at the CDC compound in ten days. (SF4)
– Nine more pilots graduate from the accelerated training program. Eight depart for Triad (Cassidine) while the remaining pilot joins Task Force Prenglar.
– Deceleration into YS12 complete, the HSS History’s Hope begins accelerating for it’s jump back to YS11 while jump calculation continue.
– Four fighters are completed at the Hentz (Araks) shipyards. They are temporarily crewed by militia pilots under the supervision of PG Tranquility. Work begins on four more.
– Two fighters are completed at the Minotaur (Theseus) shipyards and work begins on two more.
A cutter is completed at sathar SCC#5 (OFS19)
An attempt is made to sabotage the starship construction center at Rupert’s Hole (Cassidine) but is thwarted by security personnel. The saboteur, a human, kills himself before he can be captured.
– SBF-J2 arrives in the Padda system and begins working on jump calculations to chart a route to the Theseus system.
– The K’aken-Kar militia assault scout successfully jumps into the OFS167 system. As the engineers start working on their engine overhauls, the astrogator gets to work plotting a jump to the neutron star in OFS166.
– A frigate is completed at sathar SCC#10 (OFS174)
SG Alpha arrives at K’sta-Kar delivering 8 fighters which become Frontier Fighter Corps Squadron Zeta. The crew is given 2 days of R&R before heading out for the Araks system. The assault scout joins PG Vigilant.
The HSS History’s Hope successfully jumps back to YS11 and begins deceleration and starts calculations for the jump back to YS12.
– PG Probe Alpha arrives at Terledrom (Fromeltar) and confers with leader from TF Cassidine and the local militia about the sathar incursion into the system. They decide to attempt to chart the route through the nebula to the double star system OFS020 a 6 light year jump.
– With their jump calculations nearly complete, the K’aken-Kar militia assault scout begins acceleration for the jump to OFS166.
– Jump calculations complete, sathar SBF-J2 begins accelerating for the jump into the Theseus system.
– A destroyer is completed at sathar SCC#1 (OFS203).
– Deciding to try a different tactic, the sathar begin a major fleet reshuffling. The ships (1 F, 1 FF, 1 HC, & 1 AC) at SCC#10 (OFS228), designated TG1 depart for SCC#3 (OFS138).
– Five fighters are completed at the PGC shipyards (Gran Quivera, Prenglar) and are transferred to Gollwin Academy while work begins on five more.
The 8 FFC pilots arrive at Cassidine and take command of the fighters stored there forming FFC Squadron Eta.
– The Nightrunner arrives back at Alcazzar and retrieves the CDC team. They slip out of the system avoiding Streel forces and return to Triad (Cassidine). (SF4)
– With assistance from the TF Cassidine astrogators, PG Probe Alpha completes jump calculations and begins accelerating for a jump to the OFS020 system.
SBF-A2 (1 LC) departs SSC#1 (OFS203) to attempt to chart a route to Gruna Garu.
The K’aken-Kar militia assault scouts misjumps once again and ends up in another unknown star system (FS33). They begin working on finding their location.
SBF-J2 successfully jumps into the Theseus system. It begins deceleration to turn around and jump back to the Padda system.
Eight more pilots graduate from the accelerated fighter training program at Gollwin Academy. They are to join SG Alpha as it passes through the system in 10 days to take control of the new fighters at Hentz (Araks).
– The HSS History’s Hope jumps back into the YS12 system and begins calculations for the next jump, a small star system 8 light years away. They remain near jump speed as the next system is in nearly a direct line to their current line of travel.
– PG Probe Alpha successfully jumps into the OFS020 system. They remain near jump speed and monitor the system for sathar presence while work begins on engine overhauls and calculations for the return jump to Fromeltar.
– A heavy cruiser is completed at sathar SCC#3 (OFS138).
– SBF-J2 is detected by a patrol of two assault scouts of the Theseus militia and detects them in return. It immediately begins altering its flight path to attempt to avoid an engagement.
– Loath to engage the light cruiser of SBF-J2 by themselves, the two Theseus assault scouts radio for backup and begin to trail the sathar ship. The rest of the militia immediately boosts to attempt to intercept the sathar.
– SBF-A2 successfully jumps into the Gruna Garu system. It begins deceleration out of the system plane to attempt to avoid detection while it plots the return jump.
After 2 days of no sathar detection, PG Probe Alpha begins deceleration in preparation for the return jump to Fromeltar.
Earlier today, in the space around Kawdl-Kit, Task Force Cassidine engaged the invading sathar forces. After nearly an hour and a half of fighting, the last of sathar forces were destroyed.
While almost all of the Spacefleet vessels sustained serious damage, battle losses were light with the Task Force only losing three fighters and three assault scouts.
Hours after the battle, repair work for the heavily damaged assault carrier and battleship are still ongoing.
Vah’zen’rk – Kawdl-Kit Global Reporting
This one was a doozie. This was the longest lasting battle as far as number of turns of play go. Although that’s partially because the combination of speeds, damage, and lack of maneuverability caused everything to get spread out. You’ll notice the maps shift around a bit, especially toward the end as I shifted the view to keep the main part of the battle in view. I might have to shift to a larger map grid. As always this fight held a few surprises, not the least of which was the final outcome.
Reinforced with some additional ships from SCC#10, veterans of campaign against the saurians, SBF-B2 reenters the K’tsa-Kar system with the intent to wipe out Task Force Cassidine. The UPF forces, while somewhat outgunned, are determined to hold the line here.
Order of Battle
Task Force Cassidine
3 Assault Scouts
1 Light Cruiser
1 Assault Carrier
1 Heavy Cruiser
1 Assault Carrier
2 Heavy Cruisers
Task Force Cassidine elects to hold the battle around the planet, hoping to use the planet’s gravity well to their advantage even though there is no longer a station there. With no station to defend, the UPF form up in a broad line far back from the planet and the oncoming sathar forces to give them time to study the sathar deployment before committing. The capital ships are moving at speed 15 while the fighters and assault scouts are moving at speed 25. The six seeker missiles (from the battleship and heavy cruiser) are deployed in an arc on the side of the planet the sathar are approaching from.
The sathar, also cautious for this major battle, come in relatively slow, with their capital ships moving at speed 10 and fighters at speed 20. The assault carrier, escorted by the frigate, take the center position with a heavy cruiser on either side which is in turned flanked by a trio of destroyers and a flight of fighters.
While the sathar destroyers all accelerate to speed 13, the rest just drift forward at their current speed.
Closing ranks to defend against the expected oncoming flights of fighters, the light cruiser and assault scouts join the battleship while the frigates join up with the heavy cruiser and assault carrier. The fighters slow to speed 20 to remain out of range of all of the approaching sathar ships except possiblly the lower flight of fighters.
No shots are fired as everyone is still out of range.
Yhe upper flight of sathar fighters accelerate to speed 25 and make a pass at the upper group of ships, firing on assault rocket each at the assault scouts and light cruiser. The lower flight make a pass at the UPF fighters and fire an assault rocket at three fighters in that group. The sathar destroyers accelerate to speed 16 and fly out to the flanks with the upper group turning to head back into the fight while the lower group keeps their forward firing weapons aimed at the UPF fighters. The heavy cruisers accelerate to speed 12 and turn to cross in front of the planet while the frigate and assault carrier remain at speed 10 but turn to pass below the planet.
Defensively, all of the UPF ships fire at the upper group of incoming fighters, while the more distant ships don’t connect, it adds to the crossfire and shots from the closer ship manage to destroy three of the four fighters while almost destroying the fourth (it has 1 HP left).
The surviving fighter fires at the light cruiser and knocks out its engines, it will be stuck at speed 17 until it can get those repaired. The lower flight of sathar fighters all hit with their assault rockets destroying three of the UPF fighters (half the flight).
The UPF activate two of the previously placed seeker missiles. Upon activation, each of them detects the nearby heavy cruiser and accelerate, driving home into the ships. Both cruisers fire 3 ICMs to attempt to intercept the missiles but they fail. The upper cruiser has its ICM launcher knocked out while the lower suffers a devastating hull hit (76 HP – double damage) nearly destroying it.
Ignoring for a moment the fighters and the upper group of destroyers, the UPF ships focus on the other capital ships. The remaining fighters, the assault scouts, and the frigates and make a pass at the lower group of destroyers. The heavy cruiser and assault carrier go after the severely damaged heavy cruiser and the sathar frigate, while the battleship and light cruiser go after the other heavy cruiser.
Defensively, the frigate, upper heavy cruiser, and assault carrier focus their fire on the UPF light cruiser damaging its maneuvering, taking out its laser and proton battery, slightly damaging its hull, and starting an on-board fire. The heavily damaged heavy cruiser fires at the UPF assault carrier knocking out its engines (stuck at speed 16) and severely damaging its hull (a little over 1/3 of hull integrity lost). The lower flight of destroyers focus their fire on two of the assault scouts. One is lightly grazed suffering a 20% hull integrity reduction while the other is destroyed.
Under combined fire from the UPF light cruiser and battleship, the upper sathar heavy cruiser has its maneuvering and proton battery knocked out, and suffers a 43% hull integrity loss from multiple hits. While the UPF assault carrier misses, the UPF heavy cruiser finishes off the heavily damaged sathar heavy cruiser with it’s pair of laser batteries. The shots by those ships at the frigate are much better. The frigate manages to intercept the heavy cruiser’s torpedo with its ICMs, but the sathar vessel is hit with the cruiser’s disruptor cannon and rocket batteries from both vessels damaging its damage controls system and reducing its hull integrity to only 8%.
The lower flight of sathar destroyers doesn’t fair much better. The lead destroyer is hit by an assault rocket and laser battery inducing a navigation control hit and suffering 28% hull integrity reduction. The second is hit by an assault rocket from one of the fighters which scores a critical hit and the laser cannon from one of the frigates and is destroyed by the damage inflicted. The last destroyer is hit by two laser batteries and an assault rocket knocking out 54% of its hull integrity.
The surviving heavy cruiser, having no MR, accelerates to speed 14 to come in range of the assault scouts and frigates. The seriously damaged frigate just drifts forward at speed 10 and the assault carrier follows it but accelerates to speed 12 and turns to cross its path near the end of its move All three ships fire at the UPF assault carrier. The upper flight of destroyers swoop down and are joined by the surviving fighter from the upper flight. They unleash everything they have at the UPF battleship. The lower flight of fighters loop around and fire on the UPF frigates (2 AR at one and 1 at another) while one of the destroyers loops around to fire at the lead assault scout with everything but it’s torpedo which it fires at the second frigate. The destroyer with the navigation control hit loops away from the fight but fires at the remaining assault scout as it passes by. The fire on the UPF light cruiser damages its combat control system.
Defensively, the frigates and assault scouts fire their laser batteries at the oncoming fighters destroying one and lightly damaging another. The frigates fire their other weapons at the damaged destroyer making the attack on them knocking out another 30% hull integrity and short circuiting out its screens and ICMs.
The UPF heavy cruiser and assault carrier fire their laser batteries at the sathar frigate (short circuiting its screens and ICMs and inducing a navigation control failure) and all their other weapons at the passing heavy cruiser. The battleship and light cruiser fire their disruptor cannons at the heavy cruiser, which combinded with the fire from the heavy cruiser and assault carrier, destroy that ship. They fire 2 laser batteries at the incoming fighter but miss and concentrate the rest of their weapons on the lead destroyer damaging its damage control system, inducing a fire, and nearly destroying it with a critical hit (only 8% hull integrity left).
The lone sathar fighter fire a salvo at the battleship. While most of the shots miss, the ones that hit are significant. The fighter’s assault rocket knocks out the battleship’s ICMs, the lead destroyer’s torpedo scores a critical hit knocking out 25% of the battleship’s hull, and the second destroyer scores a critical hit with its rocket battery taking out another 22% of the hull.
The UPF assault carrier is hit by both the sathar frigate and assault carrier knocking out its proton and laser batteries and multiple hull hits knocking another 40% off of it’s hull integrity. Shots at the surviving assault scouts destroy the lead assault scout while completely missing the other one. The lead UPF frigate is hit by an assault rocket damaging its engines while the other is hit by an assault rocket and torpedo knocking out nearly half its hull and acceleration ability.
The UPF light cruiser, with its engines nearly completely off line, turns to starboard and drifts down toward the lone sathar destroyer at the bottom of the map. The battleship turns hard to starboard and flies down over the wounded sathar frigate and flying past the assault carrier. The surviving UPF fighters and assault scouts loop around and make a run at the sathar assault carrier. The two frigates go after the lone sathar destroyer at the bottom of the map and loop back toward the main fight. The UPF assault carrier, severely damaged and with its engines disabled, drifts away from the fight escorted by the UPF heavy cruiser. The fire on the sathar destroyer rampages through the ship knocking out its engines and damaging its combat controls system
Defensively, the upper flight of sathar destroyers once again concentrate all their fire on the battleship, hoping to do better defensively than they did offensively. Their hope is in vain however as only one hit does hull damage (reducing it by another 10%) but they also induce a navigation control malfunction, knock out its stasis screen, and damage its combat control systems.
The lone sathar destroyer in the middle of the fight fires at the UPF assault carrier short circuiting its defensive systems and reducing its damage control capabilities.
The lone destroyer at the bottom of the map with the navigation control malfunction focuses its fire on the more damaged frigate knocking out it’s laser cannon.
The sathar frigate and assault carrier fire their energy battery weapons at the incoming UPF fighters (one is hit for a 38% hull integrity reduction) and the frigate fires its rocket battery at the assault scout (critical hit destroying the scout) and laser cannon at the battleship as it flies by (that’s the shot that induced the navigation control hit mentioned above).
The UPF fighters fire at the sathar assault carrier but only connect with one assault rocket knocking out the carrier’s maneuvering. The frigates work to finish off the damaged destroyer with the navigation hit but only manage to hit with a single laser battery inducing an onboard fire.
The light cruiser fires at the second destroyer in the upper group as it flies away hitting with its laser, proton, and electron batteries damaging it’s hull and weapons before the light cruier’s torpedo slips past the ICMs launched by the destroyer and scores a critical hit, destroying the sathar ship.
The battleship fires it’s disruptor cannon and a laser battery at the frigate hitting the laser battery and destroying it, two laser batteries at the damaged destroyer in the upper group, one of which connects destroying that ship, and the rest of its weapons at the third destroyer connecting with the electron battery and torpedo and knocking out 70% of the sathar vessel’s hull integrity.
Finally, the assault carrier and heavy cruiser fire at the damaged destroyer in the middle of the map destroying it with multiple hits.
While the UPF ships are fairly damaged, they are definitely in control of the fight at this point.
On the UPF side, the damaged fighter fails its repair attempt on its hull which will have to be repaired at a shipyard, luckily it is still over 50% hull integrity and doesn’t have to worry about breaking up. The second UPF frigate and the battleship both manage to repair some of their hull while the battleship also effects repairs to its combat control system. The light cruiser gets its fire under control while the assault carrier repairs its damage control systems.
On the sathar side, the two damaged fighters repair their hull while the surviving destroyer from the upper group fails its hull repair, leaving it permanently damaged below 50% hull integrity. The other surviving destroyer gets its fire under control while the assault carrier repairs its maneuvering and combat control systems.
Recognizing that they can’t win, the sathar attempt to at least finish off the already damaged ships. To that end, the upper destroyer and 3 fighters go after the assault carrier. Though severely damaged, the destroyer manages to hold together (rolled 37 with a 30% breakup chance). The assault carrier turns away from the battleship and accelerates as much as possible. The other sathar destroyer, although it put its fire out, still has a problem with its navigation control system and pulls a turn to port. It also accelerates.
The UPF assault carrier and heavy cruiser fire defensively at the sathar fighters, using their ICMs to defend against the incoming torpedo, managing to destroy two of the three fighters. The battleship fires everything it can at the assault carrier causing significant system damage (all maneuvering, navigation control damage, half engine capabilities, and knocking out its ICM launcher) and some minor hull damage (20%). The UPF light cruiser and frigates fire long distance shots at the other destroyer but the shots all go wide.
The sathar fighter fires its final assault rocket at the UPF assault carrier knocking out that ship’s masking screen system. The sathar destroyer hits the assault carrier with its laser battery and a rocket battery but only causes minor hull damage (15% hull integrity reduction). The sathar assault carrier hits the UPF battleship with both of its energy weapons inducing a loss of navigation control and some minor (~6%) hull damage. However, that is enough to put the battleship below 50% hull integrity and with the navigation control damage, it could break up
At this point, I really thought we were going to loose the battleship. Especially when it takes even more damage as part of sathar defensive fire phase of this round. But that same destroyer saved the battleship as well. This is where the damage to all the ships combined with their high speed, really started to spread things out. Any of the ship staying in the fight (mainly the UPF light and heavy cruisers) I tracked on separate maps so they could loop around and come back in if the fight lasted that long.
The battleship, with its navigation control damage pulls a turn to port. Luckily its damaged hull holds together (rolled 24 on 14). The frigates, unable to reach the assault carrier, go after the destroyer at the top of the map. The light cruiser, with its limited maneuverability turns to try to come back around to the battle area. The UPF fighters make a final run at the sathar assault carrier before turning to return to their assault carrier. They also activate two more seeker missiles, one accelerates and slams into the remaining sathar fighter destroying it. The second starts to go after the battleship but as the battleship flies away, turns its sights on the sathar destroyer.
Defensively the sathar assault carrier misses its shots at the UPF fighters while the sathar destroyer hits the battleship for another 5% hull integrity loss and knocks out all of its maneuvering. The sathar destroyer connects with the damaged UPF frigate knocking out some of its engines and nearly destroying it.
Two of the three assault rockets from the UPF fighters connect with the sathar assault carrier, one of which scores a critical hit and between the two of them reduce the carriers hull integrity by another 64%. The UPF frigates, assault carrier and heavy cruiser all fire at the remaining sathar destroyer at the top of the map connecting with multiple weapons and destroying it. The battle ship hits the destroyer at the bottom of the map with a laser and electron battery reducing its hull integrity by another 24%.
The two remaining sathar ships are heavily damaged. The assault carrier just drifts away while the destroyer, with its navigation control system damaged pulls a hard turn to starboard and accelerates to speed 19. It doesn’t break up from the strain.
Defensively, the battleship is the only ship in range and it opens fire on the destroyer hitting with all of its battery weapons damaging its combat control system and short circuiting its defensive systems, knocking out its torpedo launcher, reducing its maneuverability, and slightly damaging its hull (6%).
Offensively, the destroyer fires back at the battleship and hits with both its rocket battery and a torpedo (the battleship’s ICM launcher is damaged) which both damage the battleships hull and nearly destroy it. It has only 6% hull integrity left.
If the destroyer hadn’t knocked out the battleship’s MR, it would definitely have broken up from the strain of the turn this round.
The seeker missile reverses course and heads after the battleship and sathar destroyer, the undamaged UPF frigate turns and accelerates to speed 24 to chase after the sathar assault carrier. The UPF heavy cruiser (off the top of the map) with no foreseeable danger to the damaged UPF assault carrier, turns and starts to pursue the sathar assault carrier as well. The light cruiser (off the bottom of the map) continues to slowly turn back to the combat area and the damaged battleship, frigate, and assault carrier just drift on their current course. Finally, the fighters start to close with the assault carrier to board and rearm.
Defensively the assault carrier fires at the oncoming frigate but misses. The destroyer takes its final shots at the battleship hitting with its laser battery. Unfortunately for the sathar, it only damages the battleship’s engines instead of damaging its hull.
Offensively, the battleship fires its final salvo, including a torpedo at the destroyer but only hitting with an electron battery damaging its engines and a proton battery knocking it out its rocket battery launcher . The UPF frigate fires at the sathar assault carrier but doesn’t hit at the extreme range.
The sathar assault carrier continues to drift while the destroyer’s navigation damage causes it to pull to port and fly up toward the planet, its reduced maneuverablity reducing its chance of breaking up and spreading out its movement. Defensively the frigate fires once again at the assault carrier, this time dialing in the range and hitting with both the laser battery (damaging the combat control system) and the laser cannon (16% hull integrity), nearly destroying the ship. The assault carrier returns fire but misses.
The UPF frigate chases down the assault carrier and surviving the defensive fire (laser battery hit for 18% hull integrity), hits the carrier with its laser cannon for 20% hull integrity and a rocket battery knocking out is proton battery and destroying it. The seeker missile continues to pursue the destroyer.
Repair Turn 2
The two UPF frigates, assault carrier, and battleship all repair some of their hull while the assault carrier also repairs the short circuit in its defensive systems and the light cruiser restores complete maneuverability.
The sathar destroyer manages to repair 18% of its hull
The destroyer’s navigation control damage causes it to turn to port toward the light cruiser and it accelerates to continue to stay away from the seeker missile. The light cruiser, its maneuvering repaired continues a wide turn to avoid the seeker as well, otherwise, it could have closed on the sathar ship. The frigate turns after destroying the assault carrier, accelerating to chase after the destroyer. No shots are fired.
Continuing to accelerate, the sathar destroyer’s navigation damage turns it to starboard and it passes within 40,000 km of the light cruiser. Defensive fire from the more distant frigate misses, but the light cruiser connects with its electron battery knocking out the destroyer’s masking screen. The destroyer returns fire and hits with its electron battery knocking out the cruiser’s ICM launcher.
The seeker missile continues to chase the ships but can’t catch them at their high speed. The light cruiser turns to run parallel to the sathar destroyer’s path. The frigate loops around and comes up directly behind the destroyer and the heavy cruiser completes it large turn and comes in directly at the destroyer.
Defensively, the destroyer fires at the frigate as it closes but misses with everything.
The light cruiser can only fire it’s EB and misses. The frigate fires its energy weapons (everything else is expended) and scores critical hits with both knocking out 52% of the sathar destroyer’s hull integrity (it only has 6% left). The heavy cruiser opens up with all of its energy weapons but misses as well.
Now severely damaged after the hits from the frigate, and with the navigation control damage causing it to pull to starboard, the strain on the sathar destroyer’s hull is too much and the ship breaks apart as the crew tries to save it.
Task Force Cassidine has won the day, and while most of the capital ships are damaged (the heavy cruiser is the only one unscathed), they have only lost 3 fighters and three assault scouts. The crews get to work immediately upon field repairs.
The frigate still in the fight completes its repairs in another half hour and just needs a reload to be fully operational. An hour an a half later the light cruiser finishes its repairs. An hour after that the other frigate completes as much repair as it can, its hull is only at 73% integrity but the rest of the work is going to need to be done at a shipyard. Another hour and a half (4.5 hours after the battle ended) the assault carrier completes all of its repairs. Finally, 6 hours after the battle is over the battleship completes the repairs of all its systems except for its stasis screen which is going to require a work in a shipyard.
I was really surprised the UPF did as well as they did. I really thought the sathar were going to win this one or at least leave Task Force Cassidine gutted. From a purely hull point perspective, the sathar had the advantage 631 to 518. Some lucky damage rolls, like the seeker missile doing 76 HP to the heavy cruiser on round two, and bad rolls on the sathar’s side, definitely helped tip the scales in their favor.
The other problem was that the sathar just couldn’t manage to finish off the UPF ships. The UPF battleship, one of the frigates, and the assault carrier were all nearly destroyed. They all were down to single digit hull points during the fight. The sathar just couldn’t manage to get the killing blow in. Those low hull points were late in the battle (expect for the assault carrier) so eliminating the ships would not have made much difference in this fight but eliminating them would have definitely helped the sathar’s war effort later on. As it is, Task Force Cassidine is almost completely intact. They will have to replace some fighters and assault scouts, but that’s relatively easy compared to having to replace a battleship and assault carrier.
What did you think of this fight? What should either side have done differently? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
This months sees the opening battles of the Second Sathar War. Maneuvers and engagement from this conflict overshadow nearly everything else happening in the Frontier as everyone watches the events unfold.
It is this conflict that I originally started this timeline to track so it will be heavily focused on the events of the battles and how the sides react for the next little while. Also things get really busy so there are a lot of entries every day this month. I think there are only 2 or 3 days that don’t have at least two entries and toward the end when the invasion starts, it’s rare to have a day with less than 5 or 6 entries. Links to battle reports on all the ship engagements are linked in the timeline.
On day 61.280, the arrivial of Strike Force Nova in the Prenglar system on the same day as the sathar fleet was pure coincidence. I had planned out the maneuvers of SF Nova separately from the sathar movements without consulting between the two. I was completely surprised when they ended up jumping in on the same day.
Settle in. This one is a bit of a read.
– After eight days of exercises with the crews of Fortress Kdikit, SF Nova departs Kdikit (Madderly’s Star) for a jump to Triad (Cassidine).
– PG Virgo arrives in the Zebulon system and begins work for the jump back to Pale (Truane’s Star).
– Sathar Fleet SBF-C1 (1 HC, 1 LC, 2 DD, & 1 FF) departs SCC#3 (OFS138) and begin accelerating for a jump to the OFS137 system.
– PG Liberty arrives at Snowball (Liberty) and joins up with PG Lancet. The assault scout in PG Lancet is transferred to PG Liberty, with the UPFS Flying Cloud (frigate), UPFS Eleanor Moraes, and UPF Backdoor (sathar scout ship) remaining attached to PG Lancet.
– The SF Meteor destroyers arrive at Lossend (Timeon).
– The CMS Osprey arrives back at Clarion. The ship is immediately put into the starship construction center for maintenance, repairs, and refits while the crew is given some much needed leave.
– Sathar Fleet SBF-B1 (1 HC, 1 LC, 2 DD, & 1 FF) departs the rendezvous point in OFS167 and begins accelerating for a jump to the OFS166 system.
– The HSS History’s Hope and escorts jump into the OFS222 system. They begin work on engine overhauls and jump calculations for the YS01 system.
– The SF Meteor destroyers depart Lossend (Timeon) and begin accelerating for a jump to the White Light system.
– After three days debriefing the commander of PG Liberty and introducing him to the Mhemne contacts, Captain Reider and PG Lancet depart Snowball (Liberty) for a jump back to the Waller Nexus system and a high speed transit to Minotaur (Theseus).
– Sathar Fleet SBF-A1 (2 HC, 2AC, 1 LC, 4 DD, 2 FF & 14 fighters) departs SCC#1 (OFS203) and begin accelerating for a jump to the FS12 system.
– PG Virgo arrives in the Truane’s Star system and begins decelerating toward Fortress Pale (Pale, Truane’s Star).
-= Sathar Fleets SBF-E1 (1 HC, 1 LC, 2 DD, & 1 FF) and SBF-F1 depart SCC#5 (OFS019) and begin accelerating for a jump to the Kazak system in the Rim.
– Sathar fleet SBF-C1 arrives in the OFS137 system. It maintains its high speed and begins calculations for a jump to OFS136.
– Sathar Fleet SBF-D1 (1 HC, 1 LC, 2 DD, & 1 FF) departs SCC#4 (OFS111) and begins accelerating for a jump to the OFS020 system.
– The HSS History’s Hope and escorts jump into the YS01 system. They detect transmissions from several other ships in the system. Hoping to avoid a confrontation, they begin work on engine overhauls and jump calculations for the YS02 system.
Sathar fleet SBF-B1 arrives in the OFS166 system. It maintains its high speed and begins calculations for a jump to FS33.
– Sathar fleet SBF-C1 arrives in the OFS136 system. It maintains its high speed and begins calculations for a jump to FS56.
– Strike Force Nova arrives at Triad (Cassidine). They will spend just 2 days in the system exercising with Task Force Cassidine before heading back to Morgaine’s World (Prenglar).
– PG Lancet arrives in the Waller Nexus system. They immediately begin work on overhauling the ships’ engines and plotting a jump to Padda.
– Sathar fleet SBF-A1 arrives in the FS12 system. It maintains its high speed and begins calculations for a jump to Prenglar.
– Another small fleet of sathar ships, consisting of 2 LC, 3 DD, & 1 FF, designated SBF-F2 arrive at SCC#5 (OFS019) from deeper in sathar controlled space.
– PG Virgo arrives at Fortress Pale (Pale, Truane’s Star). The crews are given a week of leave while the ships go into the starship construction center for repairs and maintenance.
– Sathar fleets SBF-E1 and SBF-F1 arrive in the Kazak system. SBF-F1 begins decelerating toward the inner system to engage the Rim forces there. SBF-E1 maintains its high speed and begins calculations for a jump to Zebulon.
– Sathar fleet SBF-B1 arrives in the FS33 system. It maintains its high speed and begins calculations for a jump to K’tsa-Kar.
– SF Nova leaves Triad (Cassidine) for a jump to Morgaine’s World (Prenglar)
– Sathar fleet SBF-D1 arrives in the OFS020 system. It maintains its high speed and begins calculations for a jump to Fromeltar.
– Sathar fleet SBF-C1 arrives in the FS56 system. It maintains its high speed and begins calculations for a jump to Kisk-Kar.
– The sathar fleet (SBF-F1) decelerating toward Stenmar (Kazak) are detected by Rim forces in the system (10 F, 3 AS, 2 FF, 2 DD, 1 LC), alerts go out to systems in the Rim and the Frontier.
– Just hours before the engine overhauls are complete and the HSS History’s Hope is ready to jump once again, the ship and her escorts are attacked by three unidentified vessels.
– A running battle ensues as the escorts attempt to screen the HSS History’s Hope long enough to make the jump. In the ensuing fight, one of the escort vessels is destroyed along with two of the attacking ships. The last attacker manages to get a hit in on the History’s Hopes engines but it is not enough to stop the ship and it slips into the Void.
– After the HSS History’s Hope jumps out of the YS01 system, the remaining escorts ships finish off the final attacker. After the fight, the escorts repair what damage they can and begin heading back to Scree Fron for repairs.
– Now in the YS02 system, the crew of the HSS History’s Hope works on repairing the battle damage to their ship and preparing for the next leg of their journey, a jump to the YS03 system.
– The 2 destroyers arrive at Fortress Redoubt (Clarion, White Light). They join with the other ships of PG Meteor which now consists of the two destroyers and 3 assault scouts.
– With the alert from the Kazak system, PG Virgo’s maintenance is fast tracked and the crews are recalled from leave after only 3 days.
PG Lancet makes the jump to the Padda system. Work begins immediately on the engines and calculations for the jump to Minotaur (Theseus).
– Sathar battle fleets appear in five different Frontier system within hours of one another and most begin decelerating towards the inhabited worlds in those systems. SBF-A1 arrives in the Prenglar system, SBF-B1 arrives in K’tsa-Kar, SBF-C1 arrives in Kizk-Kar, SBF-D1 arrives in Fromeltar, and SBF-E1 arrives in Zebulon.
– Unlike the other sathar fleets, SBF-E1 doesn’t slow down in Zebulon but prepares for a jump to the Truane’s Star system.
– Due to the alert sent out by forces in the Kazak system, these fleets are detected within hours of their arrival in system. Alerts are broadcast all across the Frontier.
– Task Force Cassidine, leaving its minelayer in the Cassidine system, departs on a high-speed risk jump to Dramune.
– PG Meteor is dispatched on a high risk run to reinforce the armed station at K’tsa-Kar as there is no militia in that system. The Clarion Royal Marines (1 FF, 4 AS) join PG Meteor.
– The two ZKKDA assault scouts, currently in K’aken-Kar also depart on a high risk run to the K’tsa-Kar system per the defense agreement.
– Both of the planetary militias of Dramune independently agree to make a high speed risk jump to the Fromeltar system to assist with the defense of that system, hoping to stop the sathar before they can get any further into the Frontier.
– Strike Force Nova arrives in the Prenglar system within hours of the sathar fleet appearing. They begin decelerating to engage the sathar fleet simultaneously with Task Force Prenglar.
– Sathar Fleet SBF-B2 (1 HC, 1 AC, 3 DD, 1 FF, 7 F) departs the rendezvous point in OFS167 and begins accelerating for a jump to the OFS166 system.
– Battle of Stenmar (Kazak) between Rim forces (1 LC, 2 DD, 2FF, 3 AS, 10 F & 1 fortified station) and SBF-F1. The sathar forces are completely destroyed and the Rim only lose 1 LC, 2 DD, and 1 AS with the station severely damaged. Word of the victory is broadcast across the Rim and Frontier.
– PG Lancet jumps back into the Theseus system and is dissolved. The UPFS Eleanor Moraes and UPFS Backdoor break off from the group and start decelerating toward Minotaur. The UPFS Flying Cloud remains at velocity and starts working on the jump to White Light.
– The last of the ships of PG Virgo emerge from their maintenance in the Streel shipyards (Pale, Truane’s Star). The crews go on high alert as they monitor the sathar progress across the Frontier. While cheered by the news of the Flight’s victory in Kazak, they mourn the loss of friends made while stationed in that system.
– The sathar forces from the Sauria system arrive back at their base, SCC#10 (OFS228) where they stand down to effect repairs from the recent campaign.
– Sathar fleet SBF-E1 jumps into the Truane’s Star system and begins decelerating toward Pale. The Truane’s Star militia, along with PG Virgo, prepare to meet them.
– Task Force Cassidine successfully jumps into the Dramune system, they maintain the high speed and start working on a risk jump to Fromeltar.
– The Dramune militias successfully jump into the Fromeltar system and begin decelerating toward Terledrom, the apparent destination of the sathar forces in that system.
– PG Meteor and the White Light militia successfully jump into the K’tsa-Kar system and begin decelerating toward the planet and sathar forces approaching it.
– The ZKKDA assault scouts also successfully arrive in the K’tsa-Kar system and race to join the fight.
– Sathar Fleets SBF-E2 (1 HC, 1 AC, 1 LC, 1 DD, 1 FF, & 8 fighters) and SBF-F2 depart SCC#5 (OFS019) and begin accelerating for a jump to the Kazak system in the Rim. After the initial loss in the Kazak system, the sathar commit their 4 new cutters to SBF-F2 to boost the strength of that fleet.
– Deciding that PG Liberty can provide advanced warning if sathar start to come from that direction, the Theseus militia, together with the remaining saurian forces in Theseus, begin accelerating for a jump to the White Light system.
– The HSS History’s Hope jumps to the YS03 system and begins preparations for a jump to YS05.
– Sathar fleet SBF-B2 arrives in the OFS166 system. It maintains its high speed and begins calculations for a jump to FS33.
– TF Cassidine makes the jump to the Fromeltar system and begin a hard deceleration. They won’t arrive in time for the initial battle but can engage any sathar forces remaining in the system if the militias cannot successfully hold the line.
– Battle of Zik-Kit (Kisk-Kar) – Overwhelmed by the forces of SBF-C1 the two militia assault scouts and the armed station are destroyed with only minimal damage to the sathar vessels.
– Battle of Terledrom (Fromeltar) – The combined militias of Dramune and Fromeltar quickly overwhelm the sathar forces in an intense 20-minute battle. The only loss is the Inner Reach destroyer with the 2 Outer Reach destroyers sustaining heavy damage.
– Battle of Kawdl-Kit (K’sta-Kar) With some amazing gunnery by the UPF and militia forces, the sathar fleet is reduced to scrap in just 20 minutes. However, before they are destroyed, they manage to obliterate the armed station orbiting Kawdl-Kit. No UPF or militia forces were lost although the CMS Osprey sustained some hull damage that will require a shipyard to repair.
– Battle of Gran Quivera (Prenglar) – Approaching cautiously due to the expected minefield, the sathar’s slow speed limits their maneuverability and they are overwhelmed by the combined forces of TF Prenglar and SF Nova in less than an hour. The UPF only lose 2 F, 5 AS, 1 DD, and 2 LC in the battle. Several other ships will require shipyard repairs.
– The UPFS Flying Cloud jumps into the White Light system. It maintains its high speed while performing engine overhauls and jump calculations to get to K’sta-Kar and join up with PG Meteor.
– The CMS Osprey leaves Kawdl-Kit and begins accelerating for a jump back to the shipyards orbiting Clarion. The White Light SCC has space for up to a HS 4 ship so space is held for the Osprey.
– A HS 8 freighter completes its annual maintenance at the Terledrom SCC giving a total of 12 HS of space in the SCC. The two Outer Reach frigates are immediately admitted for repairs.
– Orbiting high above Zik-Kit the sathar ships spend the day rearming but make no move toward the planet. All UPF and militia ships that were in battles the previous day also spend the day rearming and checking that all systems are ready to go.
– With the militias in control of the Fromeltar system, Task Force Cassidine immediately starts calculations and acceleration for a jump to the K’izk-Kar system.
– Sathar fleet SBF-B2 arrives in the FS33 system. It maintains its high speed and begins calculations for a jump to K’tsa-Kar.
– Battle of New Pale (Truane’s Star) – Sathar target the smaller UPF vessels to great effect destroying 5 fighters, 6 AS, and 1 LC while only losing a DD & LC. While their remaining ships are damaged, so are the remaining UPF vessels which are unable to purse as the sathar break off the fight.
– After finishing what battle repairs they can, the remnants of SBF-E1 start accelerating for a jump to the Zebulon system.
– SBF-C1 leaves orbit around Zit-Kit (Kizk-Kar) and begin accelerating for a jump to the Kaken-Kar system.
– Spacefleet now has several damaged ships in need of immediate repair and a need to replace ships lost in battles with the sathar. However, there is no space in most SCCs across the Frontier and especially in Prenglar.
– Given the state of the Frontier’s starship construction centers, and expecting things to get worse, Spacefleet addresses the Council of Worlds and requests that the Wartime Construction Control clause of the UPF charter be invoked. A relic of the original charter, it has never been invoked in the history of the UPF.
– Receiving word of the departure of SBF-C1, PG Meteor and the K’aken-Kar militia, now rearmed, begin accelerating for a jump to the K’aken-Kar system to meet the on-coming sathar forces.
– Sathar fleets SBF-E2 and SBF-F2 arrive in the Kazak system. SBF-F2 begins decelerating toward the inner system to engage the Rim forces there. SBF-E2 maintains its high speed and begins calculations for a jump to Zebulon.
– Shortly after their arrival in the Kazak system, the sathar fleets are detected and an alert is sent out. The Rim forces brace for another battle.
– Space clears in the Outer Reach (Dramune) SCC and construction starts on a new Destroyer for the Inner Reach militia.
– Space clears in the CDC shipyards orbiting Triad (Cassidine), Spacefleet convinces the shipyard managers to start construction of 5 fighters and another assault scout, preempting the regular construction schedule.
– One of the Outer Reach frigates completes its repairs in the Terledrom (Fromeltar) shipyard freeing up 5 HS of space.
– Receiving the alert from Kazak, Spacefleet realize they only have 10-11 days to reinforce Truane’s Star. Replenishing SF Nova’s order of battle with ships from TF Prenglar, but having to leave the damaged assault carrier and its fighters behind, it begins a high risk jump to Dixon’s Star and then on to Truane’s Star.
– Betting that Cassidine is safe, the third UPF Minelayer is ordered to Fromeltar. It begins accelerating for a jump to Dramune as the first leg of its trip.
– Realizing that there is still enough room in the Outer Reach (Dramune) SSC, Spacefleet gets construction started on a new assault scout before anything else can be moved in.
– The second Outer Reach frigate completes its repairs in the Terledrom (Fromeltar) shipyard freeing up 5 more HS of space. As HS 10 mining ship is moved in to the shipyard for its annual maintenance.
– Two-day end of year celebration on Hum begins. With the events currently happening in the Rim and Frontier, the celebrations are more subdued than normal.
– The HSS History’s Hope arrives in YS05 and begin preparations for the jump to YS06.
– Overhauls complete, the UPFS Flying Cloud jumps into the K’sta-Kar system. It remains at high speed working on calculations for a jump to K’aken-Kar with the rest of PG Meteor. It will be just a day behind them.
– More space opens up in the CDC shipyards (14 HS worth). However, having just bumped six ships ahead in the queue for Spacefleet, they resist efforts to start more military construction giving the space to a large freighter that has been waiting over a month for its annual maintenance.
– Space opens up in the Minotaur (Theseus) shipyards (6 HS worth). The Theseus government starts construction of a new destroyer for the militia although they suspect the hull will be assigned to Spacefleet.
– Space opens up (4 HS worth for a total of 6 free) in the Terledrom (Fromeltar) SCC. The Terledrom government alerts Spacefleet of the availability and starts construction on 2 assault scouts, one for Spacefleet and one for the militia.
– Space (8 HS) opens up in the PGC shipyard at Gran Quivera (Prenglar) as a freighter completes maintenance. After the recent battle, shipyard owners are more than happy to hold the space for Spacefleet. The damaged assault scout and frigate are moved in immediately and begin repairs.
– TF Cassidine jumps into the Kizk-Kar system. They don’t slow down but immediately begin working on engine overhauls and calculating a jump to K’aken-Kar.
– Sathar fleet SBF-E2 arrives in the Zebulon system. They don’t slow down but begin immediate calculations for a jump to the Truane’s Star system.
– Sathar fleet SBF-B2 arrives in the K’tsa-Kar system and starts decelerating toward the White Light Militia ships there. PG Meteor and the K’aken-Kar militia are less than 10 hours from jumping out of the system when the sathar are detected.
– Realizing that the K’aken-Kar militia will suffer the same fate as the K’izk-Kar militia if they return to face the sathar alone, PG Meteor continues with them for the jump to K’aken-Kar.
– SF Nova jumps into the Dixon’s Star system. Working feverishly on overhauls to the assault scouts’ engines, they begin calculating the jump to Truane’s Star.
– The UPF assault scout and frigate complete their hull repairs after a single day in the PGC shipyard (Gran Quivera, Prenglar) and return to active duty.
– Another 6 HS of space open up in the PGC shipyards (Gran Quivera, Prenglar) for a total of 16 HS of space available. The damaged assault carrier is moved into the shipyard to have its engines repaired.
– Realizing that they cannot withstand the incoming sathar force, the White Light militia starts plotting a jump back to their home system. They delay departure, however, acting as bait and hoping to draw SBF-B2 deeper into the system so they don’t jump immediately after PF Virgo or straight to White Light.
– SBF-C1 jumps into the K’aken-Kar system and begins decelerating toward the planet.
– PG Meteor and the K’aken-Kar militia jump into the K’aken-Kar system and begin decelerating to meet the sathar.
– The Theseus militia, along with the second saurian Ark Ship arrive in orbit around Clarion (White Light). The saurians join their sister ships in orbit while the Theseus militia confers with the Clarion Royal Marines and Fortress Redoubt to establish defensive plans.
– SBF-E1 jumps into the Zebulon system and establish contact with SBF-E2 relaying full details of their encounter. They start working on a jump to Kazak System and then back to SCC#5 (OFS019) for repairs.
– The UPF assault carrier’s engines complete their repairs. With 16 HS of space available at the PGC shipyards, Spacefleet begins construction on a fighter, an assault scout, and a light cruiser.
– Second Battle of Stenmar (Kazak) – seriously outgunned, the Rim forces are nearly all destroyed with only a single fighter surviving. They manage to take out a sathar light cruiser and cutter before being overwhelmed.
– The UPFS Flying Cloud jumps into the K’aken-Kar system. It remains at high speed to catch up with the rest of PG Meteor and will execute a hard deceleration to match speed with the group when it does.
– Having succeeded in drawing SBF-B2 into the K’sta-Kar system, the White Light militia, reluctant to abandon Kawdl-Kit, begins acceleration for their jump home.
– Seeing the White Light militia start to leave the system, SBF-B2 changes course and start accelerating for a jump to K’aken-Kar to join SBF-C1.
– The UPF minelayer jumps into the Dramune system. It doesn’t slow down but begins calculations for its jump to Fromeltar.
– Space (5HS) opens up in the Hentz (Araks) shipyards. It is not immediately filled as there is a larger ship waiting on maintenance.
– SBF-E2 jumps into the Truane’s Star system and begin decelerating toward New Pale.
– SF Nova arrives in the Truane’s Star system just hours after the sathar. Unfortunately, they arrived much farther out in the system than anticipated. They begin a fast run and hard deceleration toward New Pale in order to arrive before the sathar forces.
– Seeing more and more sathar ships arriving in the Frontier, the Council of Worlds stops blocking the activation the Wartime Construction Control (WCC) clause in the UPF Charter. Spacefleet is granted complete control of all starship construction centers in the Frontier.
– With the activation of the WCC clause, Spacefleet, with the assistance of Star Law, move to take control of the shipyards. They temporarily suspend any new maintenance work while they sort out the schedule and priorities.
– More space opens in several SCCs across the Frontier: 2 HS at Hentz (Araks) for a total of 7 HS, 18 HS at Rupert’s Hole (Cassidine) emptying that facility, 6 HS at Terledrom (Fromeltar) 12 HS at Gran Quivera (Prenglar), and 5 HS at Minotaur (Theseus)
– Working to replenish their immediate losses, Spacefleet takes control of the destroyer construction at Minotaur, and start construction of 2 assault scouts at Hentz, a light cruiser at Gran Quivera, and a fighter and assault scout at Terledrom.
– Lacking facilities to construct military vessels, the Rupert’s Hole SCC is designated for ship maintenance and two ships are moved in immediately. The other Type III SSCs at Pale & Clarion are given the same designation.
– Spacefleet also authorizes the start of construction for two assault scouts to replenish some of the ships lost by the Truane’s Star militia with the understanding that they may be deputized by Spacefleet during the conflict. Construction starts in Terledrom and Minotaur
This month sees the conclusion of the Beyond the Frontier series of modules (SFKH2-4) with UPF forces driving out the sathar from the FS30 system which is named Liberty. They also destroy a sathar starship construction center which will cripple the sathar efforts in the Frontier in the coming conflict, the wheels of which are already turning.
Also this month, the HSS History’s Hope makes it back to Frontier space for some much needed maintenance and starts back out to hopefully completely their voyage of discovery and the Saurians begin to set up an initial settlement on Clarion in the White Light system.
The last day of the month sees additional sathar ships arriving at their forward posts in preparation for the coming conflict. Next month with see the sathar forces set in motion and the opening shots of the Second Sathar War. If you want to follow along as events unfold, remember that I post the daily updates on Twitter. These posts are just the monthly summaries. As the battles play out, I’ll be doing posts on the day they occur as I described in my State of the Frontier post a couple of days ago. You can see a sneak peek (if you haven’t already) of these battle posts in the Battle of Stenmar post from a couple of weeks ago. That battle actually occurs on day FY61.281 but I provided it early to get feedback on the format.
Here are the most recent events in the timeline.
– Investigating the wreckage of the ships that attacked the HSS History’s Hope points to the involvement of the Family of One but the evidence is inconclusive. The ships repair what damage they can and resume preparations for the jump to OFS224.
– On-board preparations complete, the first shuttle loads of materials for their new settlement depart the 7th saurian Ark Ship for the surface of Clarion.
– Within hours of their landing, protesters arrive at the saurian settlement site and attempt to disrupt the operations. However, the Clarion Royal Constabulary, already on-site to maintain order, quickly gets the situation under control.
The HSS History’s Hope jumps to the OFS224 system on high alert. However, there is no indication of hostile forces and they begin preparation for the jump to Scree Fron.
– Two destroyers, slated to join Strike Force Meteor, are completed in the Hentz (Araks) shipyards. They begin a shakedown cruise to Prenglar via the Gruna Garu system.
– Strike Force Nova jumps into the White Light System and begins decelerating toward Clarion.
– The UPF ships under Command Reider in the FS30 system initiate Operation Cracker to attack and draw off the sathar ships from the occupied Mhemne L4 station.
– The ensuing battle of Operation Cracker manages to destroy many the remaining sathar fighters in the system which seemed to have very poor pilots. The sathar LC and AC retreat to the strong defenses of the planet’s moon.
– Simultaneous with Operation Cracker, the CMS Osprey, UPFS Eleanor Moraes and the two captured sathar shuttles lift off from the surface of Snowball and approach the L4 station.
– Gaining access to the L4 station, the UPF/Mhemne forces wage a running battle with the sathar forces occupying the station in an attempt to capture it before the sathar can destroy the station and kill the inhabitants.
– Having successfully captured the L4 station, the UPF and Mhemne forces brace for a sathar counterattack.
– Instead of attacking, the sathar abandon their positions on Snowball’s moon, the planet’s surface, and head to the L5 station. All sathar installations are destroyed by nuclear blast. Surprisingly, the Mhemne installations and cities are not destroyed.
– After collecting fighters at the L5 station, the remaining ships begin accelerating for a jump out of the system. As they leave L5 station, the sathar ships under construction at the L5 station are destroyed by explosions.
– After waiting to ensure the sathar don’t double back, Commander Reider pursues the sathar vessels as they continue to accelerate. The sathar send their inexperienced fighters after the UPF ships which are destroyed in the ensuing fight. The UPF remain safely out of range of the sathar ships’ heavier weapons as they trail them out of the system.
– Sathar SCC#4 (OFS111) completes a frigate
After a week of additional patrols in the FS26 system, PG Meteor begins acceleration for a jump back to the Theseus system.
Due to the scrutiny after the rubies deliver, Obar Enterprises takes some lower profile cargos for the next few runs on their secret jump route between Truane’s Star and Cassidine. While not as profitable as the last few runs, they still gross 1.365 million credits.
News of the events in the FS30 system leak to the public on Gran Quivera (Prenglar). The Frontier Peace Organization stage a protest outside the Council of Worlds building demanding a cease of hostilities against the sathar and a stop to Spacefleet expansion.
– The HSS History’s Hope and her remaining escorts jump in the Scree Fron system and begin decelerating to Hakosaur.
– Strike Force Nova arrives at Clarion and settles into berths at Fortress Redoubt. They open communications with the commanders of the saurian vessels to arrange a meeting between the ship captains to discuss sathar tactics observed by both forces.
– The sathar HC and AC from FS30 jump into the OFS179 system, they maintain their high velocity and begin calculations for a jump to the OFS 168 system. Commander Reider turns his ships around to return to the inner system.
Responding to the activities of the Frontier Peace Organization, the Anti-Satharian League stage a counter protest demanding even greater Spacefleet and Star Law funding. The two groups clash and the Port Loren police have to intervene to stop the fighting.
– The commanders of the Strike Force Nova vessels meet with their saurian counterparts. Over the next 6 days, they host each other on the various ships and stations and trade intelligence on the sathar.
– While most of the information on the sathar flows from the saurians to the UPF, the recent experiences of the Discovery Squadron provide some information to flow the other direction
After months of negotiations, the Consolidated Nebula Energy Group has signed on all the independent power distributors on Groth (Fromeltar) and many distributors on Terledrom (Fromeltar) and Inner Reach (Dramune). They continue to recruit others and begin sending delegates to other systems as well.
The HSS History’s Hope arrives back at Hakosaur and lands at the starship repair facility on the surface. While the ship goes in for maintenance, the crew take a much-deserved rest and spend time with their families.
The two UPF destroyers arrive at Hargut (Gruna Garu), while the rest of the crew takes a bit of shore leave, the astrogators get to work immediately on the calculations for the long jump to Prenglar.
– The sathar forces in the Sauria system, having finished the cleansing of that system, begin accelerating for a jump to the Tischen system, the first leg of a journey back to their base in OFS228, the site of another sathar starship construction center (SCC#10)
– PG Meteor arrives back at Minotaur Station (Theseus). They transmit their findings in FS26 back to UPF Headquarters. The crews are given 3 days of shore leave.
– The sathar HC and AC from FS30 arrive in OFS168. They begin calculations for a jump to OFS167.
– Initial jump calculations complete, the two UPF destroyers at Hargut (Gruna Garu) leave the station and begin accelerating for their jump to Prenglar.
– Commander Reider arrives back at Snowball with PG Lancet. The CMS Osprey is released to return back to Clarion (White Light). It begins accelerating for a jump back to Waller Nexus.
– Meetings with the saurians complete, Strike Force Nova departs Fortress Redoubt and begins accelerating for a jump to Madderly’s Star.
– Calculations complete, the sathar HC and AC in OFS168 jump into the OFS167 system. The begin decelerating to join the other ships rendezvoused there.
PG Meteor in split apart once more. 3 Assault scouts, keeping the PG Meteor designation, leave Minotaur station and begin accelerating for a jump to Clarion (White Light). The frigate and remaining assault scout, designated PG Liberty, start accelerating for a jump to Padda.
– The FS30 system, in consultation with the Mhemne population, is named the Liberty system in UPF records.
– After over a year on patrol, PG Virgo departs the Kazak system to return to the Frontier. It will make a high-speed transit back to Pale (Truane’s Star).
After a week of ship maintenance and crew leave, the HSS History’s Hope emerges from the starship repair facility with a clean bill of health. The crew prepares to depart once again into the Yazira sector to continue their voyage of discovery.
The CMS Osprey arrives in the Waller Nexus system. They maintain their high velocity and begin calculations for a jump to the Padda system.
Preparations complete, and fully restocked with food and fuel, the HSS History’s Hope, along with three other vessels acting as escorts, leave Hakosaur (Screen Fron) for a jump to OFS224. They plan to make another high-speed transit back to YS07 to continue their exploration.
PG Liberty arrives in the Padda system where they maintain their high velocity and begin calculations for a jump to the Waller Nexus system.
– Sathar SCC#3 (OFS138) completes a heavy cruiser and frigate. These are the last of the ships that will comprise the initial volley of what will come to be known as the Second Sathar War.
– PG Virgo jumps into the Osak system and begins calculations for the jump to the Capella system.
– The two destroyers designated as part of SF Meteor arrive at Gollwin Station (Morgaine’s World, Prenglar).
– The CMS Osprey arrives in the Padda system and establishes contact with PG Liberty briefing them on the events in the Liberty system. They maintain their high velocity and begin calculations for a jump back to Theseus.
SF Nova arrives at the new Fortress Kdikit (Kdikit, Madderly’s Star). They begin a series of maneuvers to fine tune the station’s tracking systems.
– PG Meteor arrives at Fortress Redoubt (Clarion, White Light). UPF High Command decides to station the patrol group there indefinitely while the remainder of the ships for the strike force are completed. They will assemble here as they are finished.
– The SF Meteor destroyers are dispatched from Gollwin Academy (Morgaine’s World, Prenglar) with orders to join up with the other ships in White Light. They begin accelerating for a jump to Timeon.
– PG Liberty jump into the Waller Nexus system. They begin calculations for their final jump to the Liberty system.
– The CMS Osprey jumps into the Theseus system. Deciding to head straight home, they continue at high velocity across the system and begin calculations for the jump to White Light.
– The HSS History’s Hope and her escorts jump into the OFS224 system. They begin overhauling the ships’ engines and calculating their jump to OFS221.
After several weeks of intensive work, the first saurian dwellings on Clarion (White Light) are completed and ready to be occupied. They just need the power generator to be finished.
PG Virgo jump into the Capella system and begins work for the jump back to the Zebulon system.
PG Liberty jumps into the Liberty system and begins decelerating toward Snowball.
The first power generator at the saurian settlement is completed and brought on-line. The construction crews can now move into permanent residences and begin working on expanding the settlement.
– The CMS Osprey jumps into the White Light system and begins decelerating toward Clarion and home.
– The HSS History’s Hope and her escorts jump into the OFS221 system and begin work on jump calculations for the jump to OFS222 and work on overhauling the ships’ engines.
A small fleet of sathar ships, consisting of 1 HC, 1 AC, 1 LC, 4 DD, 2 FF, and 8 fighters), designated Sathar Battle Fleet F1 (SBF-F1) arrive at SCC#5 (OFS019) from deeper in sathar controlled space.
Here comes the next installment of the detailed Frontier Timeline. The HSS History’s Hope is returning back home for it’s annual maintenance and gets waylaid, the UPFS Eleanor Moraes and CMS Osprey discover the sathar starship construction center in the FS30 system, and the Saurians start the process of settling into the Frontier.
We are drawing closer and closer to the launch of the sathar attack into the Frontier that will come to be known as the Second Sathar War. As I was starting to work ahead on that I realized that since back in mid April, I had forgotten to post the updates about the sathar ship construction and movement of sathar ships outside the Frontier. All of the craziness that result from COVID-19 resulted in me dropping the ball on these posts. The funny thing is, when I started this project nearly two years ago, these were the very posts and bits of information that I started the project to track. Seeing how the sathar moved ships around in preparation for and during the battle what the inspiration for the project in the first place. It’s kind of ironic that that is what I lost track of. The other stuff was just supposed to be filler around these posts, but these other threads seem to have taken on lives of their own.
I’ve gone back and fixed that error. In the final document at the bottom of the page, the posts (which start on FY61.068) that I missed posting to Twitter and in the monthly updates are highlighted in a blue font. I’ve assembled them into a separate table below so that you can see them all together if you don’t want to search for them in the document and see them in their context. These missed updates include almost all of the positioning of sathar forces before the commencement of the invasion. Going forward, things will be included as regular updates and posts and I won’t have to backfill.
I also realized, as I’m completing the events of the SFKH4 – The War Machine module, that in the time line, the Liberty System, which is the location of that adventure, is still unnamed and only known as FS30 on the star maps. So I’ve gone back through the document and changed all reference to the Liberty system to FS30. The name change actually occurs in the coming month and is an event that will be in the next update.
The Lost Events
A new sathar starship construction center comes on-line and begins producing ships. This new center is located in a system “south” of Prenglar, OFS203. It is designated SCC#1.
Sathar SCC#2 (FS30) produces 6 fighters
Sathar SCC#2 (FS30) produces a destroyer
Sathar SCC#3 (OFS138) produces a frigate
Sathar SCC#4 (OFS111) produces a frigate
3 sathar ships (1 DD, 1 LC, 1 AC, designated transit group TG 1) depart SCC#5 (OFS19) and begin accelerating for a high-speed transit to SCC#4 (OFS111).
A destroyer is completed in the sathar SCC#3 (FS30)
The sathar SCC#4 (OFS111) completes 5 fighters.
The ships of sathar TG1 arrive at SCC#4 (OFS111). The destroyer remains in the system while the remaining ships are joined by 12 fighters (housed in the assault carrier) and another light cruiser. TG1 begins acceleration for a high-speed transit to SCC#3 (OFS 136).
A sathar frigate leaves SCC#4 (OFS111) and begins a high speed transit to SCC#5 (OFS019)
The sathar frigate arrives at SCC#5 (OFS019)
The ships of sathar TG1 arrive at SCC#3 (OFS136). They are joined by another assault carrier (with 8 fighters), 3 heavy cruisers, and 3 frigates. They depart immediately and begin accelerating for a high-speed transit to OFS167.
The Sathar battle fleet arrives in orbit around Edge (Precipice). They meet no resistance and begin bombing the planet.
Destruction of the saurian world Edge (Precipice) complete, the sathar battle fleet begins acceleration to return to the Sauria system.
Several sathar ships (1 AC, 1 HC, 1 LC, & 6 fighters, designated TG2) leave SCC#2 (FS30) and begin accelerating for a high-speed transit to new SCC#1 (OFS203).
The sathar SCC#5 (OFS019) completes a cutter and light cruiser.
The sathar fleet arrives back at Kischen (Sauria). They begin an aggressive patrol of the system looking for any survivors or other ships that escaped their initial attack.
The Sathar SCC#2 (FS30) completes a destroyer. It along with six others, depart the SCC and begin accelerating for a high-speed transit to OFS 167.
Sathar Transit Group 1 arrive in the inner system of OFS167. They begin patrolling the system and waiting for other ships to arrive.
– Sathar TG1 is reformed consisting of 1 AC (with 6 fighters), 1 HC, 1 LC, and 1 frigate. It departs OFS167 immediately for a high-speed transit to SCC#1 (OFS203)
– A new transit group (TG3) is formed from the ships at OFS167. Consisting of 1 HC, 1 AC and 7 fighters, it begins accelerating for a high-speed transit to SCC#2 (FS30).
Sathar Transit Group 2 (1 AC, 1 HC, 4 DD, & 8 fighters), arrive at the newly operating SCC#1 (OFS203)
That covers everything I missed in months past. I missed a few events in this month’s activities as I was doing the Twitter posts but they will just be included in the regular update below. The events I missed posting on Twitter will be highlighted in italics.
The Regular Update
After two days of preparation, the UPFS Eleanor Moraes, CMS Osprey, and the sathar scout ship (now named the UPFS Backdoor) lift off from Mahg Mar and begin accelerating toward the FS 30 system using the captured astrogation data. (SFKH4)
After over a week of deliberations, discussions, and subspace communications all of the Frontier, Princess Leotia of Clarions extends a formal invitation from her world to the Saurians to set up an initial settlement there.
– PG Meteor successfully jumps into the White Light system. They do not slow down but immediately begin calculations for the 10 light year jump to Theseus.
– The second saurian Ark ships joins the first one in orbit around Minotaur and delegates from that ship join the discussions.
– Two UPF Frigates slated for SF Meteor are completed in the Minotaur (Theseus) shipyards. They begin a short shakedown cruise while they wait for the arrive of the assault scouts in PG Meteor.
– After two days of internal discussions, the saurians agree to send one of the ark ships to White Light for direct discussions about settling on Clarion, at least initially. Princess Leotia offers to accompany them personally on their vessel as a show of good faith.
– The UPFS Eleanor Moraes, CMS Osprey, and UPFS Backdoor successfully jump into the FS30 system. They begin decelerating toward the location of the sathar base, codenamed Base Alpha. (SFKH4)
– The first ship, a light cruiser, is completed at the new sathar SCC#1 (OFS203) south of Prenglar.
– The HSS History’s Hope jumps into the YS03 system and begins work on the jump back to YS02.
– Sathar Transit Group 3 arrives at SCC#2 (FS30)
After 3 days of preparation, the 7th saurian Ark Ship leaves orbit around Minotaur and begins accelerating for a jump to the White Light system.
Jump calculations complete, PG Meteor jumps to the Theseus system and begins decelerating toward Minotaur.
– After four days of deceleration, the UPF ships approach the location of Base Alpha in the FS30 system. They realize that the base is a small assault carrier. Leaving the other ships behind, the captured sathar scout ship (UPFS Backdoor) approaches the carrier. (SFKH4)
– The UPFS Backdoor is pulled in to a docking bay of the sathar carrier. After an intense battle through the decks of the sathar vessel, the crew manages to capture the ship and eject its engines before they can overload and destroy the vessel. (SFKH4)
Several ships, independently dispatched by members of the True Yaziria society, arrive in YS01. They discover several Family of One vessels in the system patrolling for the eventual arrival of the HSS History’s Hope as it returns to the Frontier.
– The HSS History’s Hope jumps to the YS02 system arriving safely. They begin work to make the jump back to YS01.
– The True Yaziria ships engage the Family of One ships destroying one, crippling another, and driving off the remaining two. The FoO ships are trailed until they jump out of the YS01 system.
– Four sathar fighters arrive from the inner system to investigate the explosions of the sathar carrier’s engines. A battle ensues between the CMS Osprey, UPF Eleanor Moraes, UPFS Backdoor, and the sathar fighters. The UPF forces win but the Moraes is severely damaged. (SFKH4)
– The 7th saurian Ark Ship jumps into the White Light system and begins decelerating toward Clarion. Princess Leotia radios ahead to alert her father of their arrival.
– PG Meteor arrives at Minotaur station, the assault scout crews are given two days of rest before they are given their next assignment. The two frigates join the assault scouts, and the ships are temporarily assigned to the Frontier Expeditionary Force under Commander Reider.
After two days of engine overhauls and repairs, a small chemically propelled rocket approaches the UPF ships in the FS30 system. Capturing the rocket, they determine that it is a message requesting a meeting from some unknown group. They radio back to FEF headquarters. (SFKH4)
– The UPF forces in FS30 receive orders from Commander Reider to make contact with whomever sent the rocket and learn as much about the sathar in the system as possible. He is personally bringing reinforcements.
– PG Meteor is split into two groups. One (a frigate and 4 AS) are sent to the FS26 system to see if any sathar ships were pursuing the saurians and establish a forward screen there. The other (a frigate and 2 AS), commanded by Commander Reider, depart for the trip to FS30.
– After completing preparations, the crew of the UPFS Eleanor Moraes depart for the rendezvous point indicated by the map in the rocket. (SFKH4)
The full White Light Militia, sans the CMS Osprey, boost out from Clarion station to meet the saurian Ark Ship.
– The sathar SCC#1 (OFS218) completes a frigate.
– With everything ready to go, the crew of the HSS History’s Hope prepares to jump back to the YS01 system. They go on high alert as this is the system they were attacked in before and are worried that there will be trouble again.
– Jumping in to the YS01 system, the crew of the HSS History’s Hope detect radio signals from several different ships. Initially concerned, they soon realize that these ships are there as escorts, not antagonists. Work begins on jump calculations as the ships in the inner system accelerate to join them.
– The Eleanor Moraes crew arrives at the rendezvous point, a small asteroid that has been hollowed out into a space station. After docking they meet with a new race, called the Mhemne. (SFKH4)
– Two sathar destroyers arrive at SCC#3 (OFS138) and join the forces there.
– The 7th saurian Ark Ship, together with the White Light militia, settle into orbit around Clarion. Preparations are begun to send a delegation to the surface.
– After a day of negotiations, the UPF forces and the Mhemne reach an agreement to work against the sathar in the system. They plan to slip to the surface of the planet (Snowball) and contact the resistance there and investigate the sathar factories on the surface. (SFKH4)
– SF Nova prepares to depart the K’aken-Kar system and begins accelerating toward the K’tsa-Kar system.
– UPF forces descend to the surface of Snowball (FS30). After fighting off a Sathar hovercraft, they make contact with the Mhemne resistance on the surface. (SFKH4)
– After consulting with Commander Reider, the UPF forces, assisted by the Mhemne resistance, begin a series of raids on the sathar factories on the surface of Snowball to disrupt sathar operations while they wait for PG Lancet to arrive in system. (SFKH4)
– Descending to the surface of Clarion (White Light), the saurian delegation are met by King Leotus and Princess Leotia as welcome guests. The next several days are spent in meetings, festivities, and other activities to introduce the saurians to the Clarion culture.
– The larger portion of PG Meteor (retaining the PG Meteor designation) arrive in the FS26 system. They don’t detect any sathar signals but do detect the saurian beacon. They begin decelerating toward the inner system.
– The smaller portion of PG Meteor, now designated PG Lancet, arrive in the Padda system. They begin calculations for a jump to the Waller Nexus system without slowing down.
After two days of discussions, the saurian delegation, escorted by Princess Leotia, begin a multi-day tour of Clarion to look for sites where the saurians could set up a permanent settlement.
– Joined by the True Yaziria escort vessels, the HSS History’s Hope jumps to the OFS222 system. They immediately begin engine overhauls and plotting the next jump to OFS221.
– The last sathar Transit Group, TG1, arrives at sathar SCC#1 (OFS203). All ships stand down and complete any maintenance needed after their recent maneuvers.
After training the Mhemne resistance fighters, the combined UPF/Mhemne force make their first raid on a sathar factory. Catching the factory unprepared, they overwhelm the defenses and manage to capture one of the sathar shuttles. (SFKH4)
PG Meteor arrives in the inner system of FS26. The ships split up to begin exploring the planets there while remaining alert for sathar vessels.
– After completing engine overhauls and the astrogation calculations, PG Lancet jumps into the Waller Nexus system. The immediately begin work to jump to the FS30 system, again without slowing down.
– Resting a day after their first assault, the UPF/Mhemne force on the surface of Snowball attack a second sathar factory. This fight proves to be a bit more challenging as the factory is on alert after the first attack. The factory is destroyed but the attacking forces are unable to capture another shuttle. (SFKH4)
After 5 days of guided exploration, the saurians decide on a location in the southern hemisphere of Clarion that is about a quarter of the way around the planet from Valencia, Clarion’s capital. They return to their ships to begin preparations for establishing the settlement.
– After another day of rest, the UPF/Mhemne forces attack the third known sathar factory. This is the most vicious fight yet and the sathar forces intentionally destroy all the shuttles when it is apparent they will lose the fight. (SFKH4)
– Strike Force Nova settles into orbit around Kwadl-Kik (K’tsa-Kar). They will remain here for only 2 days before continuing on to Clarion (White Light) to meet the saurians in that system.
– HSS History’s Hope and escorts jump to the neutron star system OFS221. While there was a hint of ship radio signals, it is lost in the natural radio noise from the pulsar. Work begins on engine overhauls and jump calculations for the trip to OFS224.
After four days examining all the planets in the inner system of FS26, the ships of PG Meteor settle into orbit around one of the two habitable planet in the system to compare notes and prepare for a departure back to Theseus.
SF Nova departs Kwadl-Kik (K’tsa-Kar) for Clarion (White Light)
PG Lancet completes their preparations and jumps into the FS30 system. They begin decelerating toward the inner system and establish communications with the UPF forces there.
– After four days of searching, the UPF/Mhemne forces on Snowball find another sathar factory. After a bloody and desperate fight, the UPF/Mhemne forces gain control of the factory and manage to capture an additional shuttle before it can be destroyed by the sathar forces. (SFKH4)
– One day before the ships are ready to jump to OFS224, the HSS History’s Hope and escorts are attacked by 3 unknown vessels (2 corvettes and a Lightspeed Lady class privateer). In the ensuing battle, two of the escorts are destroyed and the History’s Hope is damaged, but they manage to destroy the attackers
This was a busy month in the timeline. There are a number of threads that all piled up on each other. The Dramune Run (SFKH1) is nearing completion, the Mutiny on the Elanor Moraes (SFKH2) occurs, the HSS History’s Hope continues it’s journey, the sathar make their final push on the saurian worlds to eliminate them, and we see the completion of the first ships for the new Strike Force Meteor come out of the shipyards.
In some cases, I had six different events on a single day. That definitely wasn’t planned. If I was really planning this out all in advance and not just doing it a bit at a time, I probably would have spread some of these things out differently. But, given the way I add in events and work out their consequences, this is how they fell out and it probably is more organic and accurate that way anyway. Sometimes events all pile up on each other.
It was also a tough month on the posting side. Because there were so many intertwined and detailed events happening, I had to make sure I wasn’t missing anything and so got behind in writing the updates and getting them posted. If you’re following along on Twitter, you would have noticed that there were large gaps of no daily posts followed by floods of posts over several days as I worked on getting caught up.
In any case, we made it through the month. Here are the events happening in the Frontier over the last 31 days.
The last shipment delivered by Obar Enterprises to Triad (Cassidine), a shipment of rubies from Pale (Truane’s Star), triggered a flag in a resource tracking system on Triad due to the speed of the high profile delivery. It is flagged for future investigation.
The UPFS Eleanor Moraes successfully arrives in the Waller Nexus system and begins scanning the system for planets.
The Gullwind successfully jumps into the Cassidine system and begins deceleration toward Triad station.
Strike Force Nova leaves Cassidine and begins accelerating for a jump to the Dramune system.
– Calculations nearly complete, the HSS History’s Hope begins accelerating for a jump to YS06. If successful, this will complete the jump route between YS06 and YS05.
– Initial scans by the UPFS Eleanor Moraes detects a potentially habitable planet orbiting Waller Nexus. An atmoprobe is launched toward the planet. They adjust their deceleration vector to take them into orbit around the planet which they dub Mahg Mar.
– After scanning the OFS179 system for 20 days, the 7th Saurian ark ship has identified all the planets near the star and none are suitable for colonization. They begin working on jump calculations to their next system.
– Results of the atmoprobe sent to Mahg Mar indicate that the atmosphere is breathable but contains trace toxins. Breathing masks will be required at all time when outside on the surface.
– The 8th Saurian Ark Ship is completed. With sathar ships in the system and suspecting that the ships that razed Rock (Sessar) will be joining them, the shakedown cruise is skipped and loading begins immediately.
– Arriving at Triad station (Cassidine), the crew of the Gullwind replenish supplies and spend a day decompressing from their recent encounters before making the final leg of their trip to Inner Reach (Dramune).
– Having confirmed the destruction of the saurians on Rock, the Sathar fleet in the Sessar system begins accelerating toward the Sauria system to join with the other fleet there.
– The UPFS Eleanor Moraes settles into orbit around Mahg Mar and begins preparation for landing on the surface of the planet.
– Fearing that this might be the last Ark Ship launched, the Saurians move all of the remaining cultural artifacts that were planned to be spread out across the remaining 12 Ark Ships under construction to this one. All resources are dedicated to getting this ship underway before the expected sathar attack occurs.
– The Gullwind leaves Triad station (Cassidine) and begins accelerating for the final jump back to Dramune.
– The HSS History’s Hope successfully jumps to the YS06 system and begins decelerating while planning their next jump.
– A day out from Triad station, the Gullwind is intercepted by an assault scout, the MESS Maltharia. In the ensuing battle, the assault scout is damaged but takes out the Gullwind’s engines. It disengages, leaving the freighter adrift. (SFKH1)
– The first two ships for the new Strike Force Meteor emerge from the Pan Galactic shipyards orbiting Gran Quivera (Prenglar). They depart to Morgaine’s World (Prenglar) to begin exercises with elements of Task Force Prenglar.
– Unable to repair the engines outside a spacedock, the crew of the Gullwind call back to Triad for assistance. The UPFS Melinda McCoy (destroyer) and UPFS Dirk (assault scout) respond to their mayday. (SFKH1)
– After hearing the Gullwind’s crew’s story, the Melinda McCoy’s captain, Commodre Klat-tic M’tal, a vrusk, arranges a tug to take them back to Triad. He also radios ahead to SF Nova, current decelerating toward Inner Reach (Drammune) with the story. (SFKH1)
– After three days in orbit generating a preliminary map of Mahg Mar’s surface, the crew of the UPFS Eleanor Moraes selects a preliminary landing site and the ship descends to the planet’s surface. Work begins immediately on overhauling the ship’s engines.
– The HSS History’s Hope begins accelerating for the jump to their next target system, a binary M dwarf system 7 light years away.
– The sathar attack fleet from Sessar arrives in the Sauria system. The remains of the sathar fleet still in the system begin accelerating toward Kischen, the saurian homeworld. The Battle Rays tailing this fleet radio the news home and begin accelerating home as well.
– The Gullwind arrives back at the CDC shipyards around Triad. Luckily there is room available in the shipyard and the Gullwind is immediately admitted for repairs.
– Calculations complete, the Saurian ark ship begins accelerating for their jump to the FS58 system, an F3 start, probably too hot for them but more likely than the M0 star they are currently at.
– Strike Force Nova arrives at Inner Reach (Dramune), they only spend a day at the station before continuing on to Fromeltar.
– The decelerating fleet from Sessar is detected by the saurian forces, three days away from the planet.
– Fully repaired, and short on cash, the Gullwind departs the CDC shipyards and once again begins accelerating toward Dramune. (SFKH1)
– Overhaul of the first engine complete, the captain of the UPFS Eleanor Moraes, Winston Marlboro, authorizes an initial scouting expedition to survey the surrounding area. Preparations begin for an expedition that will leave in the morning. (SFKH2)
– After a day of acceleration, the crew of the Gullwind have noticed that they have a shadow, a pair of ships following their course but always remaining just at the edge of radar range. They suspect it is the UPF Melinda McCoy and Dirk but cannnot confirm this. (SFKH1)
– With the sathar fleet less than a day away, loading of the last Ark Ship is aborted with only 90% of the material goods and 50% of passengers loaded. The ship departs Kischen with a small military escort and heads toward the Precipice system, the last remaining saurian system.
– A small detachment of the sathar fleet breaks off from decelerating and begins accelerating in an attempt to catch the departing ark ship.
– The HSS History’s Hope successfully completes the jump to the new system, which they designate as YS07. Decelerations commences as they prepare to plot the return leg of the jump.
– Shortly after Captain Marlboro, along with most of the ship’s crew, departs to begin surveying the surrounding area via airship, Bill Terry, first officer of the Eleanor Moraes, turns on the remaining crew and stuns or otherwise incapacitates them, taking over the ship. (SFKH2)
– With the ship secure, Terry remotely orders the survey robot accompanying the airship to attack and destroy the airship. The captain is injured as is the chief engineer. After a brief message from Terry explaining that he is abandoning them on the planet, he cuts all communications between the survey party and the ship. (SFKH2)
– Salvaging what equipment they can, the uninjured members of the survey party are ordered by Captain Marlboro to take the survey robot and proceed overland to recapture the Eleanor Moraes. There is still 45 hours of work to do on the ship’s engines before Terry can leave so they must hurry. (SFKH2)
– Battle of Kischen – The remaining saurian forces engage the attacking sathar vessels. After hours of battle, the saurian forces are destroyed but the sathar vessels are similarly devastated.
– The remaining sathar forces around Kischen begin bombarding the planet, paying particular attention to heavily industrialized areas. The remaining ark ships under constructions are destroyed.
– Three days out from Inner Reach, a small group of ships breaks off from SF Nova and begin decelerating back toward the inner system.
– The crew of the Eleanor Moraes continues their travel back toward the ship. Bill Terry uses some of the survey robots remaining at the ship to attempt to ambush the party while en route but they manage to defeat both of his attempts and overcome the natural obstacles in their way. (SFKH2)
– The 7th saurian Ark Ship successfully jumps to the FS58 system. They begin decelerating and scanning for planets.
– Strike Force Nova makes the jump to the Fromeltar system and begins decelerating toward Terledrom.
– Realizing that he won’t get the engine overhaul completed before the rest of the crew arrives, Bill Terry begins preparing the Eleanor Moraes for liftoff anyway. (SFKH2)
– The Eleanor Moraes crew arrives at the ship before Terry is ready to lift off. Breaching the defenses he has put in place they gain access to the ship. In a tense standoff on the bridge, the crew convinces Terry to surrender. (SFKH2)
– The Gullwind makes the jump to the Dramune system and begins decelerating toward Inner Reach. Almost immediately, their shadow reappears and hail the Gullwind, identifying themselves as the Melinda McCoy and the Dirk. They begin decelerating with the Gullwind, slowly closing the gap between the ships. (SFKH1)
– With the ship secured, and the captain and chief engineer recovered from the airship crash site, the crew of the UPFS Eleanor Moraes send a subspace message back to Theseus informing the Frontier Expeditionary Force HQ of the recent events and their status. (SFKH2)
– The last saurian Ark Ship successfully jumps to the Precipice system. They immediately radio ahead to the outpost there to prepare for a full evacuation as they begin decelerating toward the planet Edge. The sathar ships pursuing them return to the main force orbiting Kischen.
– Two assault scouts, part of the new Strike Force Meteor, are completed at the Triad starship construction center. The UPF crew takes command of the vessels and begin accelerating for a jump to Prenglar.
– The UPFS Eleanor Moraes receives a response from the FEF HQ that the CMS Osprey is being dispatched from White Light with material and personnel to effect repairs. The Moraes crew is to continue their primary mission of surveying the planet until the Osprey arrives in 28 days. (SFKH2)
– Deceleration complete, the HSS History’s Hope begins accelerating for the jump back to YS06.
– After two days of deceleration, just as they are approaching the orbit of Outer Reach, the Gullwind and it’s escorts are enveloped by a powerful jamming field preventing all communications. They are assaulted by 9 vessels (3 frigates, 2 corvettes, & 4 assault scouts) that include the Outer Reach militia. (SFKH1)
– After a brief but intense battle, the UPF vessels are destroyed and the Gullwind is disabled and taken in tow. The Gullwind and UPF ships manage to destroy one of the corvettes and an Outer Reach militia assault scout as well as severely damage one of the frigates. While under tow, the jamming field is maintained to prevent communication. (SFKH1)
– Strike Force Nova arrives in orbit around Terledrom (Fromeltar). They will remain in the system for 16 days while it waits for the ships detached in the Dramune system to catch up.
– The CMS Osprey begins accelerating for Theseus and the first leg of their mission to rescue the UPFS Eleanor Moraes. (SFKH3)
– Now slowed in the inner system, the 7th saurian Ark Ship discovers a habitable planet. However, due to the intensity of the star (F3 vs their native G8), the high gravity (1.5g) and slow rotation (40 hours), they deem the planet unsuitable. Preparations are made to depart the system.
– The Gullwind arrives at Darkworld station, home the Malthar who orchestrated their capture. The crew is overwhelmed my the Malthar’s robots when whey refuse to leave the ship.
– The 7th saurian Ark Ship begins accelerating for their next jump which will take them to the Theseus system.
– Having destroyed all visible traces of the saurian population on the planet Kischen, the sathar fleet begins accelerating toward the Precipice system.
The 8th saurian Ark Ship arrives in orbit around the planet Edge (Precipice) and immediately deploys shuttles to start loading the population.
The HSS History’s Hope successfully jumps back to YS06 completely charting the route between the two systems. They relay the jump data back to their home foundation on Histran via subspace radio and begin the return journey back to YS07.
After incorporating lessons learned from the false start and several weeks of successful operations, Synthcorp’s “Muffin Button” is declared a success and begins to roll out in other locations on Inner Reach.
With the population and as many supplies as possible loaded from Edge, the 8th saurian arkship begins accelerating out of the Precipice system. They decide to follow the general direction of the 7th Ark ship and begin accelerating toward OFS191.
– The two new UPF assault scouts arrive at Morgaine’s World (Prenglar) and join up with their sister ships exercising with Task Force Prenglar.
– The 7th saurian Ark Ship successfully jumps into the Theseus system where they immediately detect radio signals from the inhabitants and ships in the system.
– Vectoring their deceleration to stop deep in the outer system, the saurians begin studying the signals coming from the inner system. They are not detected by the system’s inhabitants.
– The sathar ships make the jump to the Precipice system. They detect the saurian ark ship beginning its acceleration out of the system. Several ships are detached at high speed to try to intercept it.
The CMS Osprey arrives at Minotaur station (Theseus) where they are briefed on all the details available about their jump route and the Moraes crew and status. They take on additional supplies for the stricken ship. (SFKH3)
Two more assault scouts, destined to be part of Strike Force Meteor, are completed at the Streel shipyards orbiting Pale (Truane’s Star). The UPF crews take possession of the ships and begin accelerating for a jump to Dixon’s Star and then to Prenglar.
This month got a bit busy in the middle with the Dramune Run starting, the first Saurian ark ship headed toward the Frontier departing, the UPFS Eleanor Moraes beginning its fateful trip, and the sathar starting their final push on the Saurian homeworld.
After 60 hours of initial jump calculations, the crew of the HSS History’s Hope begin accelerating for a jump back to YS05, eight light years away.
The investigation by Star Law trace the sabotage that killed the Consolidated Nebula employees back to a worker at Groth Station. Local agents are dispatched to bring him in for questioning.
The being thought to be the saboteur of the starliner is finally tracked down and while Star Law agents are speaking to him, he is shot by an unknown assailant and killed. After a chase through the station, the assailant is cornered and, unable to get away, turns his gun on himself and fires, dying instantly.
Initial background checks on both the victim (the saboteur) and the hitman that killed him reveal that they don’t seem to have any connection and are just normal people, neither with any sort of record. More investigation will be needed.
The UPFS Eleanor Moraes successfully jumps to the FS11 system, dubbed Padda. (SFKH2) They begin deceleration toward the binary star system and start scanning the system for planets.
The HSS History’s Hope successfully jumps back to the YS05 system. Remaining near jump speed, they immediately get to work on engine overhauls and calculations for the jump back to YS03.
After running all the way across the Frontier from Dramune, the Gullwind arrives at Minotaur station in the Theseus system. The crew start working on engine overhauls and replenishing the ship.
Repairs compete for the PGC shipyard (Gran Quivera, Prenglar) restoring the starship construction center to full capacity.
The sathar war fleet arrives at Tischen were it will spend two days before pushing on to the Sauria system.
The members of the Gullwind crew, all dralasites, are killed by agents hired by Malco on Minotaur station (Theseus). Garalus slips the Gullwind from its berth at the station and departs for White Light alone.
– Crown princess Leotia Valentine Leotus (Clarion, White Light) celebrates her 34th birthday.
– Loading complete, the 7th Saurian ark ship begins accelerating to leave the Sauria system. This one is headed toward the Frontier.
– The Sathar fleet departs the Tischen system enroute to the Sauria system.
SynthCorp launches a limited trial of the “Muffin Button” on Inner Reach (Dramune). For a monthly subscription of 1 cr, you receive a button that each time you press it, 2 fresh-baked muffins are delivered to your door by robotic courier and 1 cr is charged to your account.
Garalus Tylappar docks the beleaguered Gullwind at Clarion Station (White Light) and begins looking for a replacement crew. (SFKH1)
The last ships of SF Nova leave the PGC shipyards at Gran Quivera (Prenglar). They are assigned to patrol the vrusk loop of the Frontier, starting with a trip to the Cassidine System where they will exercise and brief Task Force Cassidine on their trip to the Rim
Garalus finds a new crew for the Gullwind. While conducting some business in the Spacer’s Lounge, they are attacked but drive off the assailants.
– The Saurian ark ship successfully jumps out of the Sauria system and arrives in the OFS179 system. They begin scanning for suitable world but don’t have high hopes as the star is only a small M0 dwarf.
– The new crew get to work repairing the Gullwind’s hull which was damaged in the flight from Dramune.
– After completing and double checking their jump calculations, the HSS History’s Hope successfully jumps back to the YS03 system from YS05. They begin decelerating and start the calculations once again to jump back to the YS05 system.
– While working on the hull repair, the new crew of the Gullwind is attacked by the leader of the thugs from the Spacer’s Lounge with a new group of toughs. They drive these attackers away as well.
– After only six days in distribution, SynthCorp has to temporarily suspend orders on the “Muffin Button” as the dralasites of Inner Reach have overloaded the system.
– Repairs to the hull complete, the Gullwind immediately departs Clarion station, bound for the Madderly’s Star system.
– The sathar battle fleet is detected decelerating toward Kischen, the saurian homeworld in the Sauria system. All of the saurian defense ships are mobilized to intercept the sathar fleet as far from the homeworld as possible.
– Repairs of the Triad Starship Construction Center complete restoring it to full capacity.
– Shortly after leaving Clarion Station, the Gullwind is attacked by another armed freighter, the Nightshade. They manage to drive off the attackers and escape.
– The saurian defense fleet engages the sathar ships. Many of the sathar ships are damaged or destroyed but the saurian losses are just as bad. The sathar break off the attack and begin retreating toward Tischen. Two saurian Battle Rays are tasked to tail the retreating sathar while the other ships return for repairs.
– After 15 days of scanning the Padda system, the crew of the UPF Eleanor Moraes have discovered no planets orbiting the stars. They begin calculating a jump to the next system, dubbed Waller Nexus (FS24)
– Health failing, Garlus collapses. When revived, realizing he has only days to live at most, he reveals to his new crew the reason for the flight from Dramune and the recent attacks and charges them to get the chukkahs safely back to Inner Reach.
– A second sathar fleet arrives in OFS 184 enroute to the Sessar system.
After accelerating away for two days, the sathar ships In the Sauria system begin decelerating again looking to stop somewhere in the outer Sauria system. The two trailing Battle Rays radio this information back to Kischen and begin decelerating as well.
Shortly before the Gullwind makes the jump to Madderly’s Star, Garlus Tylappar passes away leaving his new crew to finish the Dramune Run on their own.
The Gullwind successfully jumps to the Madderly’s Star system. The crew immediately get to work on engine overhauls which are a jump overdue. Between the three engines, 108 hours of work are needed to get the overhauls completed.
Strike Force Nova arrives in orbit around Triad (Cassidine). They will spend a week here working with TF Cassidine.
After a week of changes, updates, and upgrades, SynthCorp re-enables its “Muffin Button” service, but with the price doubled to 1cr a muffin.
The second sathar battle fleet arrives at the Rock in the Sessar system. They begin a massive orbital bombardment of the planet, completely destroying the saurian population there. The saurians manage to get word out via subspace radio to alert the people of Kischen.
– Calculations complete, and another 7 days without a planetary detection, the UPF Eleanor Moraes begins acceleration for a jump to the Waller Nexus system.
– In their second 100 days of operation, the OE jump route between Cassidine and Truane’s Star yields the company just over 2.5 million in gross profits.
On their second attempt, the HSS History’s Hope successfully jumps from YS03 to YS05, completing both directions of that jump and fully charting it. The jump data are sent back their supporting foundation but not to the UPF. Work begins to plot the jump back to YS06.
With the engine overhauls complete, the Gullwind begins accelerating for a jump to the Cassidine system.
The Gullwind’s radar detects two unidentified ships closing on the freighter. Deciding they don’t want another fight, the crew strap into their acceleration chairs and max out the Gullwind’s engines for several hours, avoiding the encounter.
I really struggled this past month in getting the updates out on a daily basis. They came out eventually, but often in bunches instead of one or two a day. As I’m writing this blog post, I’m a week behind on posting. I’ll try to get those caught up soon. As always, you can follow the @StarFrontiers twitter account for the daily updates, this is just a summary from the past month.
This month, the UPF and some of the militias begin to increase their ship rosters, the first Saurian Ark Ship headed toward the Frontier departs, the Gullwind continues its flight from Dramune, and the HSS History’s Hope gets lost once again via a misjump.
Construction of the CMS Swallow complete at the Minotaur (Theseus) shipyards. The ship begins its maiden voyage to its home system of White Light.
– Construction begins on two assault scouts for Strike Force Meteor at the Streel shipyards (Pale, Truane’s Star).
– The HSS History’s Hope successfully jumps back to the YS02 system completing the YS02-YS03 jump route. They begin decelerating and plotting the jump back to YS03 to begin the next leg of their journey.
The seventh Saurian ark ship is completed and begins its shakedown cruise.
Garulus Tylappar discovers Chukkas, a protected and beloved species of Inner Reach (Dramune), in shipping crates marked as “Foodstuffs” he was contracted to deliver to Malco Enterprises on Darkworld Station (Outer Reach, Dramune). (SFKH1)
Worried about being discovered with the new knowledge and unwilling to turn the lovable chukkas over to the Malthar, Garulus takes his ship, the Gullwind, and makes a fast jump to the Cassidine system.
The UPFS Eleanor Moraes completes its shakedown cruise. With its crew fully assembled, it is tasked with exploring the region beyond Theseus. With over 20 days until the exploration module is complete, the ship will jump to White Light and back to verify that everything is in working order. Calculations begin for a jump to the White Light system.
The CMS Flitter arrives at Clarion Station (White Light). After a final inspection, it is added to the Clarion Royal Marine roster and enters official service.
Initial calculations complete, the UPFS Elanor Moraes begins accelerating for the jump to the White Light system.
After a couple of weeks of discussions the CDC delegates reach an agreement with the new Consolidated Nebula Energy Group to supply resources to the new company’s power plants.
The Gullwind, having not slowed down upon entering the Cassidine system, completes its astrogation calculations and makes the jump to the Madderly’s Star system. It doesn’t slow down here either.
The CMS Swallow arrives at Clarion Station (White Light). After a final inspection, it is added to the Clarion Royal Marine roster and enters official service.
The HSS History’s Hope successfully returns to the YS03. While the engineers work on the drives, the astrogators begin plotting the jump to the next system, a white dwarf-M star binary 11 ly away. This will be the longest uncharted jump yet of the trip.
A Flight patrol in the outer Kazak system stumble upon the patrolling sathar cutters. One of the cutters is destroyed but the other escapes. One of the Flight assault scouts was also destroyed.
With reports from agents in the Frontier that Strike Force Nova has recently left Truane’s Star to return to Prenglar, the sathar decided to stand down in OFS019 and start preparing for a major push on the Frontier.
The newest Saurian ark ship completes its shakedown cruise and begins loading passengers and supplies for its journey into the unknown.
Having left the remains of Patrol Group Virgo in Truane’s Star, Strike Force Nova arrives back at Morgaine’s World (Prenglar).
– The UPFS Eleanor Moraes arrives safely at Clarion Station (White Light). After a full checkup of the ship, they begin the jump back to Minotaur (Theseus).
– The surviving sathar cutter in the Kazak system makes the jump back to the OFS019 system.
After double checking the jump calculations, the HSS History’s Hope begins acceleration to jump speed. Their destination is designated YS05.
After an extensive debrief of the crews, Strike Force Nova stands down for maintenance. Almost all of the ships enter the PGC SCC at the same time. Several civilian ships are removed from the shipyard to make room, upsetting their owners.
– After completing overhauls on the ship’s engines, the Gullwind departs the Madderly’s Star system for White Light.
– Repairs at the PGC shipyard (Gran Quivera, Prenglar) restore capacity to 95%.
Owners of ships ejected from the PGC shipyards lodge a formal complaint with Starfleet and the Council of Worlds. However, the UPF charter grants Spacefleet this power during “times of crisis” which the CoW has invoked after receiving the reports of SF Nova and the sathar buildup in OFS019.
Encouraged by their reception by CDC, the Consolidated Nebula Energy Group (Groth, Fromeltar) send delegates to Terledrom (Fromeltar) and Inner Reach (Dramune) to meet with energy suppliers there.
– The HSS History Hope attempts to jump to YS05. Unfortunately, the calculations were off and the ship misjumps to an unknown star system with a small M dwarf instead of the binary system they were aiming for.
– They designate the system YS06 and start working on figuring out where they are at.
The ship bearing the Consolidated Nebula Energy Group delegates headed to Terledrom (Fromeltar) suffers an in-flight explosion, three of the four delegates are killed. No other passengers are injured but the ship is disabled. Rescue ships from Terledrom dispatched immediately.
Repairs of the Triad Starship Construction Center (Cassidine) bring it up to 95% capacity.
Sathar begin what they expect to be a final push on the Sauria system. A massive fleet, dwarfing anything seen since the attack on Truane’s Star 60+ years ago, leaves the SCC at OFS228 and heads to Tischen via OFS177.
The UPFS Eleanor Moraes arrives back at Minotaur Station (Theseus). All systems working flawlessly. The crew takes three days of leave while waiting for the exploration module to be completed.
Investigation of the damaged starliner reveals that the damage was deliberate sabotage and not an accident. Star Law takes over the investigation.
– The Gullwind departs the White Light system for it’s final destination at Minotaur Station (Theseus)
– After six days of around the clock work, the astrogators on the HSS History’s Hope determine their location. They overshot their target by nearly 8 light years. The good news is that this system was to be the next one on their trip. The bad news is that they have two uncharted jumps back to a known system.
The UPFS Eleanor Moraes’s extended exploration module is complete at the Minotaur starship construction center (Theseus). The ship’s crew docks with the exploration module and pull it into a holding orbit as they begin final preparations for their first jump.
Here’s the next installment of the detailed Frontier Timeline. This month sees the sathar committing to a command structure for the coming war, the UPF begin to prepare for a potential threat, sabotage activities starting to hit important targets, and the Saurians beginning to flea their homeward in advanced of the sathar onslaught.
I’m thinking about increasing the posting frequency of these events on Twitter, and increasing the number of events in each monthly installment. Technically, an Earth month is 36 Frontier days so I should probably be posting at least at that rate. Anyway, it’s something I’m considering. Here’s last month’s events.
The sathar starship construction center near Kizk-Kar completes construction of a heavy cruiser.
After nearly a
year of investigation and undercover work, agents of the Pale government
infiltrate and disrupt a major Star Devil operation in the outer reaches of
the Truane’s Star system. Several vessels are seized including a frigate and
pair of assault scouts which are added to the militia’s roster.
The first of the saurian Ark ships is
completed in orbit around Sauria.
While initial testing is completed by the ship’s command crew, the
colonists to depart on the ship begin assembling on the planet with all of
The first creche
of 50 Eorna born from the recovered egg ship are hatched. All of the new
babies are heathy and appear to be free for any serious defects. Representing
a 33% increase in the existing Eorna population, there is cautions excitement
about the prospect for the future of the race.
Saboteurs strike against the
exploration ship being refitted by the Yaziria Heritage Foundation damaging
it but not destroying it, setting back their efforts. The Foundation suspects
the Family of One to be behind the attack.
After months of
debate and wrangling, Clan X is given control of the current campaign against
the Frontier. Clan Y continues to head
the campaign against the Saurians.
The CDCSS Nightwind arrives in the
Madderly’s Star System on its way back to Cassidine. The ship needs to lay over in the system for
several days to complete overhauls on its engines.
After 14 days of
climbing, the Spire Dragon mountaineering team has found a location one
quarter of the way up Mt. Spire where they establish their first forward
camp. Work begins hauling supplies up
from the base camp while parts of the team continue the ascent.
Unknown assailants waylay the crew of
the CDCSS Nightwind on their last day on station Kdikit. While several of the
crew are injured, none are killed. The
assailants are not so lucky and those that are captured are turned over to
station authorities for questioning.
The Nightwind gets underway for Cassidine
Beginning of year
2898 on Hum (Fochrik).
The CDCSS Nightwind is attacked by a
pair of assault scouts as it makes its way out of the Madderly’s Star system.
Too far out for assistance from Spacefleet, the ship is damaged but manages
to damage its pursuers enough to escape, validating the ship’s design.
bomb explodes on Faire in the Capella system. Several hundred are injured and
dozens are killed. It’s not clear who set off the detonation or its purpose.
The Medical Services Organization
issues an alert about the rise is Ixiol cases in the Prenglar system, most
notably on Gran Quivera but several cases have been reported on the Gollwin
Academy. Cadets found using the drug expelled from Spacefleet.
The TTSS Destiny
arrives in the White Light system on its Grand Tour.
Spacefleet and Star Law launch a joint
investigation into the origin and distribution of the drug Ixiol. While it’s believed to originate in the
Dramune system, the exact source is still unknown.
Strike Force Nova
departs White Light for the Timeon system.
The CDCSS Nighwind arrives at Triad and
is taken into the CDC shipyards there for repairs and inspections.
cruise completed, the first saurian Ark ship begins to load supplies and
colonists for their exodus from the Saurian system. They don’t know where they will end up but
prepare to flee the nearly inevitable annihilation at the hands of the
The Zik-Kit (Kizk’-Kar),
Kawdl-Kit (K’tsa-Kar), and Ken’zah-Kit (K’aken-Kar) Defense Alliance (ZKKDA)
places an order for an assault scout at the Inner Reach (Fromeltar) starship
construction center to begin building up a militia for the K’aken-Kar system.
After weeks of
planning and deliberations, Spacefleet initially uses its increased budget to
commission two new battleships to be the basis of new Strike Forces. One is
to be built at Gran Quivera (Prenglar) while the other is to be built at
Pale starship construction center
repairs continue and capacity reaches 70% of its original value.
is completed at the sathar starship construction center in the Liberty
The first of the pirate ships seized in
a recent raid (an assault scout) completes its refit and begins service in
the Pale militia.
The Council of
Worlds finally addresses the petition regarding signals emanating from a
system beyond Hargurt (Gruna Garu) in the Vast Expanse. After listening to
the evidence and hearing testimony, the Council creates a “Beyond the
Frontier” subcommittee to analyze the data and present a plan for
Inbound to Minotaur Station (Minotaur,
Theseus), the TTSS Destiny reports a sighting of an unidentified vessel that
carried Spacefleet markings and transponder codes but did not respond to
hails. The vessel matched the one
reported in the Gruna Garu system.
Strike Force Nova
arrives at Lossend (Timeon). It will
remain in system for 6 days.
The CDCSS Nightwind completes its refit
and inspection. It joins the CDC fleet
as a regular freight hauler. CDC
commissions the next ship in the series, the CDCSS Mystic, designed more as a
passenger liner rather than a freighter. The new model’s profile is identical
to the Nightwind’s but swaps out the cargo bays for modular passenger decks.
The Spire Dragons
continue to make progress finding a location approximately halfway up Mt.
Spire to establish a second advanced camp.
Two team members were lost in the ascent to this forward camp. The next three weeks are spend hauling
supplies up to this second camp and resting at the lower one.
Construction of the Spacefleet
battleship at the Pan Galactic starship construction center orbiting Gran
Quivera (Prenglar) begins.
the Spacefleet battleship at the Cassidine Development Corporation starship construction
center orbiting Triad (Cassidine) begins.
The second assault scout seized in the
Star Devil Pirate raid completes its refit and enters service in the Pale
militia. With the frigate and other
ships reaching completion as well, the militia mounts a recruitment drive to
increase its ranks.